Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PFD or settle?

tag
superdad
Regular Contributor

PFD or settle?

OK so in the past couple days i have recieved letters from 2 CC's.  One was for AT&T and the other was for Verizon.  Both letters said thy would be willing to settle for less and then there is an amount.  My question is.  If i pay the lower amount will it show on the CR paid for less amount?  Or could i use the info in the letter and send a PFD?  I would pay in full if they deleated it from my CR. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
polno1234
Contributor

Re: PFD or settle?

sounds like standard issue letters. i would definately try a pfd for the full amount owed. as for what it will say on report, that depends on what they update with. they could update with pif or settled. def give the pfd a try though.

and your still my hero

Current MERRICK SECURED-$200 EMBLEM MC-$250 EXPRESS NEXT-$350
In the garden till 10/9/14
Fico 8 start 02/15/13 488
Current TU Fico 8 641, EX 734 EQ 740
Goal 650 by 02/15/15
Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you reach an agreement with the creditor, regardless of the amount they agree as satisfaction of the debt, the debt will be reported as paid.

However,the creditor has the option to additionally report that the debt was settled for less than the full amount.

You dont want that additional statement, as it informs others that the creditor took a loss in their dealing with you.

You have three basis options.

First, pay in full, and thus no statement of paid for less can be reported.  However, you obviously dont get any score improvement.

Second is to offer a pay for deletion (PFD), where your payment is contingent upon their agreement to delete the derogatory reporting.  That both satisfies the dect, and removes the adverse reporting.  The ultimate win-win is to obtain both their agreement to settle for less, and to delete the adverse reporting.  However, getting both CR deletion and a settlement for less is asking for two concessions, and may be tought to get.  Best shot at deletion, if that is your primary goal, is to offer a PFD for the full amount of the debt.  How large is the debt?

As a fall-back, the next best to acceptance of a PFD is to get a settlement for less, with their agreement not to report paid/settled for less to the CRA.

You save $$.

Absent that additional reportting, the account will then appear in your CR the same as if it had been paid in full.

Message 3 of 6
superdad
Regular Contributor

Well one is from some company called Southwest Credit the amount owed is 729.00 in their letter is says they are offering to discount my outstanding obiligtion for up to 50% if i respond now.  LOL

The other is from a company called Midlands Credit Management, amount owed is 704.00 they will settle now for 281.80 if paid by 5/10/14

Message 4 of 6
polno1234
Contributor

people see those timelines and think that they will not be able to get that deal again. while it could be true that they recsend the offer why would they. they are willing to take it now they will more than likely take it later. offer them a dollar more for pfd lol.

Current MERRICK SECURED-$200 EMBLEM MC-$250 EXPRESS NEXT-$350
In the garden till 10/9/14
Fico 8 start 02/15/13 488
Current TU Fico 8 641, EX 734 EQ 740
Goal 650 by 02/15/15
Message 5 of 6
superdad
Regular Contributor

That seems steep, i was thinking .50 cents more.  LOL but i think i will start with a PFD.  I checked my CR and one is out of SOL and the other is not. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.