Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio Recovery Associates/Capital One Question

tag
javonnj
Valued Member

Portfolio Recovery Associates/Capital One Question

I currently have two Capital One accounts that have been placed for collection with PRA:

ORIGINAL LENDER

Portfolio Recovery A
08 Capital One Bank Usa N A
Capital One Bank Usa N.A.
AGENCY NAME
Portfolio Rc
Portfolio Recovery Ass
DATE ASSIGNED
04/01/2016
03/17/2015
03/17/2015
ORIGINAL BALANCE
$469
$469
$469
CURRENT BALANCE
$469
$469
$469
RESPONSIBILITY
Individual
Individual
Individual
STATUS
Collection account
Account seriously past due date/account assigned to attorney, collection agency, or credit grantor's public collection department
COMMENTS
Collection account
Placed for collection

My issue that I have is that PRA has reported the date differently on the experian report for when the account was assigned for collections. I am not sure if there is anything I can do about this to get it temporarily removed/possibly permanently deleted. Also, my account still shows as active, or at least I think it does, on Capital One's site. When I go to close account, this account populates. When I click through the steps to close the account, I am prompted to call a number to discuss the account. I am not sure at this point of who is in possession of this account and what steps that I should take and what possible outcomes I may have. 

Any advice/guidance that can be shared would be helpful. 

Starting Score: 500
Current Score: 500
Goal Score: 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Portfolio Recovery Associates/Capital One Question

The date assigned has no substantive effect on credit scoring.  Its only substantive effect is that it estalishes that any reported DOFD must, by definition, precede the date of collection authority.

It is possible that there was an initial assignment that was, for some reason, terminated, and then a subsequent new assignment was executed.

It is not per se inaccurate.

If you dispute, the debt collector is required to either verify or correct the accuracy of the disputed information.  If neither is done, the information must be deleted until it is verified or corrrected.  The requirment to verify, correct or delete applies only to the specific information under dispute, and would not be basis for requring deletion of the entire collection.

I would not recommend a dispute.  It is not reporting that substantively relates to scoring or the legitimacy of the debt/collection.

Message 2 of 4
stargazer25
Regular Contributor

PRA is a tough cookie to crack. They don't do PFD and unless you have a legit issue that can be sent to CFPB, you are out of luck.

Good luck with your credit rebuild.

Starting Scores: September 2015 minus 500 across the board
Current Scores: October 2017 EQ: 715 TU: 710 EX: 716
In My Wallet:
Cap1 QS: $4.8K - AMEX BCP: $4.2K - Old Navy Visa: $7K - Nordstrom $3.8K - VS $500 (FTW!)
BofA AU: $12K AMEX AU: $25K
Business: AMEX BCP $15K
Message 3 of 4
javonnj
Valued Member

Thanks for the responses. I called Capital One this morning, and they did confirm that they have sold the debt to PRA. 

One thing that I am confused about is that for Equifax, they are reporting themselves as the original creditor. Should I just ask Equifax to update the information so that Capital One is shown as the original creditor? Should I just leave it alone and not worry about it?

Starting Score: 500
Current Score: 500
Goal Score: 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.