cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio Recovery Associates is suing me...

tag
ChangeIsPossible
Contributor

Portfolio Recovery Associates is suing me...

PRA is suing me for $660. 

I received the initial papers from Courthouse giving me the chance to respond with if the debt is mine or isn't and what I'm willing to pay. 

I am wondering if I should call PRA and just pay the full amount. Should I call and attempt to settle for less and pay from them to delete entry on credit report or just go through the courts. I rather pay without courts and avoid judgement, but I am trying to clean up credit!

Starting Score: 467 (Dec '13)
Current Score: 670 (Jul '14)
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
almost_there
Regular Contributor

Re: Portfolio Recovery Associates is suing me...

What state do you live in? The courthouse asked you to state whether the debt is yours and how much you're willing to pay? Or did they just tell you how long you had to formerly Answer at the Courthouse so they can set a date for trial? Usually, you Answer. I have gone through this and I had been advised to Answer no knowledge so that the agency has to prove the debt is mine. Usually, they don't have their paperwork together and the case can in some instances get dismissed, but the day of the trial, you will first be sent to arbitration and can settle then if you'd like. I say all this to say don't let the lawsuit scare you. When I went through this, I'd discovered at the clinic that the CA had violated Fair Debt Collection Laws in their filing and that I was actually in a position to sue them and collect money as the government wants to encourage consumers to come forward when debt collection agencies over step their bounds. And I also discovered that often the debt collection agencies don't have the original agreement and do things like continue to charge interest when they aren't entitled and that they buy these debts with the understanding that the information they use to sue can be inaccurate and they don't have recourse to go back to the OC to verify. They never want to show the Assignee agreement in court . So again, don't let the lawsuit scare you into calling them. Talk to an attorney first. Your local courthouse might have a law clinic that will help you as mine did. Good luck!

11/2013 FICO: 517 (TU), 560 (EX), 539 (EQ)
11/2013 FAKO: 593 (TU), 591 (EX), 595 (EQ)
Message 2 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 3 of 8
songsofexperience
Frequent Contributor

Maybe my story will inspire you?

ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Sued-by-a-Junk-Debt-Buyer-Portfolio-Recovery-Associates/m-p/2302147#M175662

Starting Score: 2/2013 EQ 535
Current Score My Fico: 5/23 EQ 808| EX 812 | TU 800
Message 4 of 8
ChangeIsPossible
Contributor

Debt is still within SOL. My goal is to clean up credit. It's my debt. I just home they delete it

Message 5 of 8
Niki22
Established Member

Check out my story with them.  

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/community/topic/310707-capital-one-junk-buyer-suing-in-tn/

and I was ultimately able to have it removed from me credit reports.

Current Score 6/11/14 : Equifax Beacon 638 TU FICO 664 EX FICO 685 Current cards:
Message 6 of 8
alvon123
Super Contributor

@MackkD wrote:
Debt is still within SOL. My goal is to clean up credit. It's my debt. I just home they delete it

I would try for the pay for delete option.

Message 7 of 8
ChangeIsPossible
Contributor

They say they wont do PFD and will only update account. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.