Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about ERC Collection for Target Red Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about ERC Collection for Target Red Card

Hello! I am looking for some advice in regard to an old charged off Target Red Card. I have paid off thousands of dollars of debt stemming from a very contentious divorce. I have inched my credit back over the 700 mark. I received a letter the other day from a collection agency named ERC in regard to an old Target Red Card offering a settlement for 250 dollars. They have not reported a collection on my credit *knock on wood* and I don't want them to. Does anyone have any advice as to how to best deal with this? Thank you in advance. 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about ERC Collection for Target Red Card

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello! I am looking for some advice in regard to an old charged off Target Red Card. I have paid off thousands of dollars of debt stemming from a very contentious divorce. I have inched my credit back over the 700 mark. I received a letter the other day from a collection agency named ERC in regard to an old Target Red Card offering a settlement for 250 dollars. They have not reported a collection on my credit *knock on wood* and I don't want them to. Does anyone have any advice as to how to best deal with this? Thank you in advance. 

I would deal with them ASAP before they report, as I do not believe they are very easy to deal with getting a PFD after they do report.

250 sounds like a bargain, I would take it and be done with it! A CA reporting could be a major score suppressor!

Be certain to discuss not reporting in exchange for payment before paying them the 250. Usually if they have not reported yet they will likely go for it.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Make a deal with them to pay in lieu of them reporting the collection. Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd mail in something like this, certified mail return receipt:

Re:       Target Red Card Collection Settlement for $250

To Whom It May Concern:

This letter is to inform you that the validity of this debt is disputed and it is written without prejudice. Nothing contained in this letter shall be used against me in any legal proceedings.

This letter is in regard to a Target Red Card settlement proposal received from your company for $250 to settle this account in full.

Looking to completely resolve this balance on this account I'm willing to accept this settlement and provide the proposed sum of $250 as full payment on the debt with the exclusive provision that this account is not reported to the credit reporting agencies. Alternatively, if it has been reported already, you agree to the immediate deletion of this account from all credit reporting agencies within 10 days of receipt of payment .

The acceptance of the payment will serve as a complete discharge of all monies due, and you agree to consider the debt paid in full and agree to not take further action to collect on the alleged debt. The payment shall be made in the form of a cashier's check or money order. You agree, in writing, to designate the account as “payment in full” once you are in receipt of the agreed upon payment amount.

This compromise is expressly conditioned upon the payments made in one single installment payment of $250 with the  payment being received by or before October 1st, 2020.

If you agree to the above terms, please prepare a letter on your company letterhead explicitly agreeing to the same terms as the above settlement offer and have it signed by an authorized representative of your company. It will be implied that this letter shall constitute a legally binding contract, enforceable under the laws of my state.

I’m very thankful for your willingness to work together with me to come up to a solution to this. It’s very difficult with the current job situation for me to execute this payment so I hope you can appreciate this effort. The purpose of this settlement is merely to prevent this item from reporting on my credit files. It is not to be construed as an acknowledgment of liability for this debt in any form.

Please provide a written settlement offer with the aforementioned terms from an authorized representative on your company letterhead so we can finalize this agreement.  I look forward to resolving this matter quickly.

Sincerely,

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for all of the advice. I wound up calling Target Red Card directly, and I paid the account off. It was very simple and they were ready and willing to take the payment. They said they would recall it from the collection company and I got a confirmation number for any future issues. I felt it would be ultimately better and easier than dealing with a collection agency. I will update with how it affects my credit. 

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you so much for all of the advice. I wound up calling Target Red Card directly, and I paid the account off. It was very simple and they were ready and willing to take the payment. They said they would recall it from the collection company and I got a confirmation number for any future issues. I felt it would be ultimately better and easier than dealing with a collection agency. I will update with how it affects my credit. 

That works. Where they able to match the $250 settlement?

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

They were not. However, a read a lot of negative things about this ERC collection agency and how it is next to impossible to get them to pay for delete, so I decided to bite a few extra hundred dollars to not run the risk of having them hurt my credit score by double dinging me. I really hate dealing with collection agencies, and this is one of my last 2 baddies. 

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

What you've read was not a lie. ERC plays hardball and it's near impossible to get a PFD or a GW deletion. I've been trying for 2-1/2 years to get an old paid collection with them removed, with zero luck. Thankfully they're the only thing on my EX and TU reports, and are eligible for EE in November (TU) and February (EX). If you can keep them off your reports, it's worth far more than $250 to do so.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like a mayor win to me. Congrats!

Message 9 of 11
marylandgurl9988
Established Member

This is good to know. I have a target red card that was charged off when I lost my job in 2015. I have not received any notice from them or a collection agency yet but after reading your post I am going to reach out to target and get it taken care of since I don't want to deal with ERC. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.