Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing Hard Inquiries

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Removing Hard Inquiries

So im attempting to clean up my credit account. I am a victim of identity theft from someone close to me. My question is, if they applied for a credit card with say Chase in 2020 and it was denied. But then in 2021 im approved for a Chase card, can i dispute the inquiries from 2020 without it affecting my open account from 2021?

Thank in advance. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Removing Hard Inquiries

You needed to file a police report and put fraud alerts with the bureaus using said report to get them removed. Don't know if there's a SoL on being able to do it.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response. I do have supporting documents for my case. Its just that i now have open accounts with those same companies. I dont plan on disputing the new inquiries, just the old ones. 

Would disputing the old inquiries affect the new accounts if i dont dispute the new inquiries?

Message 3 of 6
tnhomestead
Frequent Contributor

Since inquiries fall off in 2 years, and don't count for much after 1, why bother? The inquiry will be gone this year.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gotcha. Thanks for that info

Message 5 of 6
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

The inq's from 2020 are already gone from FICO scoring. They only count against you for 1 year.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.