Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target and Collection

tag
dieselcafe
Contributor

Target and Collection

I had an account with Target that I opened in the 90s and it was sent to collection and did not pay it and it is nowhere found on my credit report today or 6 months ago. I beliieve it has passed the statue of limitation. Today, I recieved a letter from a collection agency called Northhand Group to tell me that they give me a settlement of of $272.30 (the orginal balance was $907). What should I do?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Target and Collection

dieselcafe wrote:
I had an account with Target that I opened in the 90s and it was sent to collection and did not pay it and it is nowhere found on my credit report today or 6 months ago. I beliieve it has passed the statue of limitation. Today, I recieved a letter from a collection agency called Northhand Group to tell me that they give me a settlement of of $272.30 (the orginal balance was $907). What should I do?

CRTP and SOL is different.

CRTP is 7-7.5 years from DOFD.

SOL is state based. What is your SOL? Some states have long SOL.

If past SOL, then you are not legally obligated to pay.

Once past SOL, it is up to you to pay or not. You can send them a cease and desist letter if you chose and they have no option but to comply.

Message 2 of 5
dieselcafe
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@dieselcafe wrote:

CRTP and SOL is different.

CRTP is 7-7.5 years from DOFD.

SOL is state based. What is your SOL? Some states have long SOL.

If past SOL, then you are not legally obligated to pay.

Once past SOL, it is up to you to pay or not. You can send them a cease and desist letter if you chose and they have no option but to comply.

I used to live in California where the account was opened. I last used the card in the late 90s I believe. I live in Mass. now. Honestly, I dont know the SOL in these 2 states.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

well you're right. it's likely past sol and crtp and can no longer be placed on your reports or litigated. if that is accurate you have one of 4 choices.

1. pay the full amounf because you know you owed it
2. pay the offer in full
3. try to negotiate a lower amount
4. tell them pound sound since they can no longer sue or place it on your reports

1-3 can be accomplished with a pfd (pay for deletion) letter after a dv (debt validation) letter is sent, 4 can be accomplished with a foad (blank off and die) letter only it it is truly past sol.
Message 4 of 5
hoping2rebuild
Established Contributor

I have had them call for a debt of my ex hubby's

that was 14 yrs old.

and NCO tried to hit me up for a PAID collection that was 11 yrs old

Starting Score: 377EQ/350EX/400TU As of 11/2011
Current Score: 620EQ/614EX/612TU As of 01/2013
Goal Score: 700+ across the boards
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.