Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax Lien

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tax Lien

Hi,  Does anyone know how many points my scores may go up once a federal tax lien is removed.  According to my credit report it is expected to be removed June 2016, it was reported July 2006 and released in 2010.  I do not owe anything for it, I paid it off via a repayment plan.  The only other bad item on my report are late payments on a credit card in 2013.  I have been rebuilding my credit over the past two years.  Started out  at around 480 the last myFico scores are around 648.  I'm hoping to get a jump in points once it falls off, but Experian does not report it and that score is around the same as TransUnion and Equifax.  I am also paying down credit card debt to make the debt used ratio favorable.  Any experience with Federal Tax Lien removal and the effect on scores that anyone can share?  Thanks so much

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
JayTee1
Frequent Contributor

Re: Tax Lien

I can't answer your question, but I'll be curious to see if there's any feedback.

I have to assume, though, that you won't see much of a bump if Experian isn't showing that, and your reports are similar across the three bureaus.

That's a little disappointing to know, since I'm in the same boat.  I have a federal tax lien showing up on all three reports.  I do not see a status of anything other than "filed", but when a mortgage lender pulled my reports recently, they said the lien was appearing as "released".  I'll be eligible for a complete withdrawal in July, and I'm hoping to see at least a moderate score increase, but I may have to prepare myself for seeing no increase at all.

March 2014: Abysmal, low 500s

April 2015: TU 607 | EQ 599 | EX 608
March 2019: TU 717 | EQ 727 | EX 727
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

My personal experience with STATE tax lien and not federal, when it was deleted i did not gain any points and i would assume this was due to the age and not having heavy impact on your score
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the age of the lien made it not matter too much...   What really hurts are the recent filings

Message 4 of 8
wekljf

I had a tax lien from the State of Ohio.  On the day it was released seven years later, my credit score increased from 745 to 816 in one day.  It was unbelievable.  Now a year later, my score rose to 845.  With the tax lien, my score ranged frpm 725 to 745.

Starting Score: 800
Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 8
JayTee1
Frequent Contributor

I had a federal tax lien on all three of my reports, and I was so excited to get rid of them.

They were all pretty old and eventually had been released, and by the time I actually had them withdrawn, the score effect was negligible (I think maybe one or two of the bureaus had a gain of a few points, and I'm not not even sure that was necessarily related to the tax lien removal).

It's still great to get them off there, even if your score doesn't change much.

March 2014: Abysmal, low 500s

April 2015: TU 607 | EQ 599 | EX 608
March 2019: TU 717 | EQ 727 | EX 727
Message 6 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

After BK my lien was so old. I got more points in the 12-15 point gain from being released. Once it fell off. Nothing really to write home about. Maybe a point or two.

Message 7 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

As others have suggested it depends what else is on your file; basicaly if it's your last derog / deliquency then WHEE!

If not, curb your enthusiasm.

When I had two liens (and a collection), when one came off I gained a couple of points.  When my final lien temporarily came off and the collection had already been removed (still had a 30/60 late on EX) I gained 16 points, 740->756, but #1 reason code was late this, late that unfortunately.  For completeness to illustrate derogatory stacking, and deminishing returns, when the collection came off I gained 5 points too.

End of the day it's always good to get things off, but if you have other deliquencies on there which you suggest it won't take you straight to the credit promised land.  Released unfortunately does nothing either, any lien regardless of state open, paid (some funky interstitial state on TU), and released all the same under FICO 8 and earlier.

FICO 9 at least is way more forgiving for this, hit 790 on two bureaus there, actually lost points there when my EX lien came off there so the dirty bucket range I was in got moved well upwards.  Still lates though so presumably I shifted on one of the 4 scorecards rather than playing with the pretty people.

        
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.