Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unauthorized Inquiry Removal

tag
John060675
Valued Contributor

Unauthorized Inquiry Removal

I have an inquiry that is showing up from Comcast back on May 23, 2010.  I know for sure that I did not authorize this pull, and I do not owe them any money.  The only thing I can think of is that they pulled a hard inquiry for some strange reason when I closed the account.  Again, I must stress that my account balance was at $0 when I closed the account.

I realize that this pull is not hurting my score much, but I just want it removed off of principal.  My question is how I can get it removed.  I have disputed through Equifax by internet, mail, and phone.  Each time it comes back as "matter of fact".  I then called Comcast and they just said they have no record of a pull.  I am at a stand still.

Again, I realize my score will not improve much (if any) and the inquiry will not effect my score after this May 23.  I just want to get it removed out of principal.

Thank you for your thoughts and help.

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
nyqutie
New Contributor

Re: Unauthorized Inquiry Removal

John060675 wrote:

I have an inquiry that is showing up from Comcast back on May 23, 2010.  I know for sure that I did not authorize this pull, and I do not owe them any money.  The only thing I can think of is that they pulled a hard inquiry for some strange reason when I closed the account.  Again, I must stress that my account balance was at $0 when I closed the account.

I realize that this pull is not hurting my score much, but I just want it removed off of principal.  My question is how I can get it removed.  I have disputed through Equifax by internet, mail, and phone.  Each time it comes back as "matter of fact".  I then called Comcast and they just said they have no record of a pull.  I am at a stand still.

Again, I realize my score will not improve much (if any) and the inquiry will not effect my score after this May 23.  I just want to get it removed out of principal.

Thank you for your thoughts and help.

I had the same thing happen to me but mine occurred on March 3rd 2011.  I did a few things still trying to get this resolved.   I first started on the Comcast complaint message board I can email you the two people I spoke with.

Then I wrote them two letters still waiting to hear a response back from them, but Equifax told me to file a complaint with the FTC, BBB, AG, and Consumer Affairs etc.

I know that if I don't hear from them I will take the steps that Equifax told me to take.  If they pulled your report without permission then that is something that should not be tolerated and should be addressed like you this is a matter of principle and since I learned the importance of taking care of my credit I refused to allow any company to take advantage of my and ruined my credit.

Good Luck and again if you want the contacts I've been in touch with send me a PM I'd be happy to help.

Starting Score: TU 450 EQ 491 (06 2010) Current Score: TU 746 EQ 747 EX 629 (Public Record "not" Mine can't get this darn thing OFF) (06 2013) Goal Score: TU 800 EQ 800 EX 700
Message 2 of 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Unauthorized Inquiry Removal

Could there have been an auto-renewal clause in the contract which could have resulted in the inquiry? Guessing. In any case, you can always send a non-PP letter.

Usually cable companies won't pull your credit for closing. However, I recently closed my Cox Communications account when moving last month. It was stupid (I thought) that I had to drive to their offices to return their boxes but as I returned them, the clerk asked why I was cancelling the service. I told them I was moving. She asked where and when I told her where, she said they offer services there too. She asks for my personal information and said that she'll check to see if they have any special offers for me. I was firm by telling her that I am not interested, but am convinced that she would have ran my credit at that moment had I given her the chance.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.