cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weighing options on closed accounts with balances.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Weighing options on closed accounts with balances.

Hello,

I have read many threads on these topics, but I was hoping for a little more personalized advice because I feel my situation is unique.

I had a multitude of credit cards through Comenity bank: Victoria's Secret, Ulta, Sephora, Alphaeon, Burlington, Ikea, and Sally beauty. I always paid them in full, as I'm trying to build my credit. These are also places I use for my personal business, so it works for me.

I'm sure I'll get some judgement here (judge away), but over the course of the last six months-to-a-year (depending on acct):

- VS was closed because it was paid in full and not used because I didn't feel that I could afford to pay-in-full if I made more purchases.

- Ikea, Burlington, and Alphaeon closed because I did not use them yet for the same reason.

- Sally Beauty has been paid in full and remains open.

- Ulta and Sephora have been closed, but sent to collections through Comenity itself after one purchase on each card that I spaced. I don't know if they didn't have my correct address or what, considering I receive their catalogs fine (lol, irony), but after I had a surgery in March, I totally missed my payments on these cards so they closed them. Yes, I shame myself for this oversight daily, but I'm trying to figure out the best path now.

Given the fact that I wish to continue my accounts in good-standing with this company, is there a way to reopen these cards and simply pay them, since it's literally all through Comenity bank? Do I have any clout considering I didn't receive any mail and was recovering from a surgery, nada?

If not, I'll pursue the pay-to-delete route as it will save me money and improve my tanked credit; however, I never meant this account to go into collections, and I would like these cards in the future, so I am not sure what to do.

Thanks for the help, and I hope ya'all aren't judging me too much. I do enough of that towards myself for all of you, trust me. );

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Weighing options on closed accounts with balances.

We dont judge. Unfortunately not much you can do. As you said you didnt use the cards. Companies will close them. The 2 that went to collections were probably charged off? Every creditor has websites that you can make payment on. In the future you have to check the accounts weekly at a min. to make sure all is well. Comenity isnt known to do GW's. If you can list who the CA is. It may be one that PFD. Reopening accounts vary by lender. Again Comenity isnt known to do so. Best learning lesson out of this. Put $ into savings and keep it there for emergencies for when any bill in life comes up and you have the $ in the account in case you cant make a payment.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for your help regarding my specific situation! I appreciate it.

Just checked - they are not considered collections (yet), but listed as "closed" accounts with 6 bad payment history marks. So would my best option be a PFD through them directly? Are they known to at least remove the negative info on my report if I'm on a few-month payment plan? Is there a way to have them get me that in writing? I'm kinda confused on what to do next.

Message 3 of 5
RSX
Valued Contributor

the goal is to get them paid down to $0 - this will help them reporting going forward and then impact will be limited

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 4 of 5
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you so much for your help regarding my specific situation! I appreciate it.

Just checked - they are not considered collections (yet), but listed as "closed" accounts with 6 bad payment history marks. So would my best option be a PFD through them directly? Are they known to at least remove the negative info on my report if I'm on a few-month payment plan? Is there a way to have them get me that in writing? I'm kinda confused on what to do next.

PFD with Comenity really isnt going to happen. Just pay what is owed and let time make the past less of a hit on your credit. Step by step and you'lll get there.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.