Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo won’t accept payment??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wells Fargo won’t accept payment??

Hello
I have a charge off on my account from Wells Fargo. The account says the last payment was 10/14/2014 and it was closed in May of 2015. I tried to call them today and offered to pay them the full amount that shows on my credit report : $746. They refused to accept the payment and said that it is outside of their statue of limititations. I live in Wisconsin and the limit is 7.5 years here. I asked the woman on the phone what I could do and she said there was nothing I could do and she refused to accept any payment. I don’t know what to do next. I’m trying to buy a home this summer and this is still updating on my report. Are they allowed to report that I owe them money but not accept my money? I think it’s a bit unethical for you to claim I owe you money but refuse to take it. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!
23 REPLIES 23
CGeorge
Frequent Contributor

Re: Wells Fargo won’t accept payment??

One of the issues is that Wells Fargo took the tax advantage to them - at the time that they charged off the account. It really is techinically impossible for them to now accept payment. Sounds bizaree, I know!

Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

So they’re allowed to report that I owe them money but I can’t pay them the money?
Message 3 of 24
zerofire
Valued Contributor

Yes they can. You had an agreement and you did not pay as agreed so they took their loss. Now they can sell it to a collector for collections or go ahead, and since the account is so small, just write it off which messes with your taxes.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 4 of 24
CGeorge
Frequent Contributor

And Wells Fargo (or any creditor) "writes off" (of their taxes) any bad debts, or charge-off. Once they write it off, there no longer is any debt. But, yes, they report it as charged off.

Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don’t think they are going to sell it to a collector at this point. I guess I’m just frustrated that it says that the amount past due is $746 and they’re literally giving me no way to pay them. I got sick in 2014 & lost my job. I’d just be really disappointed if I can’t buy a home because of $746 that I’m willing to pay in full.
Message 6 of 24
vntrsc
Frequent Contributor

@CGeorge wrote:

And Wells Fargo (or any creditor) "writes off" (of their taxes) any bad debts, or charge-off. Once they write it off, there no longer is any debt. But, yes, they report it as charged off.

Yes, there is still a debt.  In addition, a charge-off or tax write-off does not prevent the OC from accepting payment if it still owns the account.   It must simply report any money recovered as income. 

Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well does anyone have any advice or any suggestion as as to what I can do? Can I still get a mortgage with an open charge off? I’m at a loss here.
Message 8 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

If they sent it to collections could you find the company and pay it to them?

Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wells Fargo still owns the debt, they have not sold it to a collection agency. They reported that I owe as recently as 2/28/19. They will not let me pay in full.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.