Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is my next step?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is my next step?

So I just got approved for a CapOne Platinum(2K), that along with my Kohl's card is a good start. Based on the following info what should I do next? I am quite excited to go try some of the other pre-qual sites but have some reasons I think I should wait.

Exp-632 No baddies at all. 9 inq-5 in the last 12 months. It lists my Kohls card (10 mo old 191/300) and an $3000 auto loan that I paid off a few months ago. Nothing else. CapOne card in the mail so not reporting yet. AAoA=1 yr 3 mo AoOA=1yr 8 mo. Thin but nothing bad.

EQ-627 Lists an auto loan in collection(Deville Assett MGMT) from about 6 years ago though when reading my report it justs lists "start date" of March 2017 and that date is my "time since last negative". 3 inq all in the last year. It lists my Kohl's card (191/300) and also the paid off car loan from above. It also lists 2 other closed accounts. A CapOne from 2002 that was paid and closed (so tough to get a CLI from so I pruned it) and a CitiBank card with a $9200 limit that was also paid off and closed. AAoA=8 yrs 9 mo AoOA=17 years 

TU-617 Also has the auto loan in collection but actually still have Santander listed who was the original creditor. Same as EQ- justs lists "start date" as March 2017 and nothing else (the date they purchased it?). Also has my Kohls card (191/300) and the successfully paid off auto loan. 3 inq- 2 in 12 mos. They also include the CapOne card but not the Citi. AAoA=6 yrs 6 mo AoOA=17 years. 

I feel like I should have actually waited on trying the pre-quals but got lucky with the CapOne. I have my Kohls balance down to $20 but it won't post for a few more days. That and the new card will definitely help with my utilization which was listed at 64%. Curious to see how many points I gain from just that. 

If I dispute and get that collection listed as the actual date of first derogatory which was at least 5 years ago will that help?

Should I wait until my new Kohl's balance reports and my CapOne before I try any more pre-qual sites?

Any sage advice I can get from anyone? This board is fantastic. LOL....I literally spent 10 minutes looking up and making sure I had all of the correct abbreviations. Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is my next step?

@Anonymous wrote:

So I just got approved for a CapOne Platinum(2K), that along with my Kohl's card is a good start. Based on the following info what should I do next? I am quite excited to go try some of the other pre-qual sites but have some reasons I think I should wait.

Exp-632 No baddies at all. 9 inq-5 in the last 12 months. It lists my Kohls card (10 mo old 191/300) and an $3000 auto loan that I paid off a few months ago. Nothing else. CapOne card in the mail so not reporting yet. AAoA=1 yr 3 mo AoOA=1yr 8 mo. Thin but nothing bad.

EQ-627 Lists an auto loan in collection(Deville Assett MGMT) from about 6 years ago though when reading my report it justs lists "start date" of March 2017 and that date is my "time since last negative". 3 inq all in the last year. It lists my Kohl's card (191/300) and also the paid off car loan from above. It also lists 2 other closed accounts. A CapOne from 2002 that was paid and closed (so tough to get a CLI from so I pruned it) and a CitiBank card with a $9200 limit that was also paid off and closed. AAoA=8 yrs 9 mo AoOA=17 years 

TU-617 Also has the auto loan in collection but actually still have Santander listed who was the original creditor. Same as EQ- justs lists "start date" as March 2017 and nothing else (the date they purchased it?). Also has my Kohls card (191/300) and the successfully paid off auto loan. 3 inq- 2 in 12 mos. They also include the CapOne card but not the Citi. AAoA=6 yrs 6 mo AoOA=17 years. 

I feel like I should have actually waited on trying the pre-quals but got lucky with the CapOne. I have my Kohls balance down to $20 but it won't post for a few more days. That and the new card will definitely help with my utilization which was listed at 64%. Curious to see how many points I gain from just that. 

If I dispute and get that collection listed as the actual date of first derogatory which was at least 5 years ago will that help?

Should I wait until my new Kohl's balance reports and my CapOne before I try any more pre-qual sites?

Any sage advice I can get from anyone? This board is fantastic. LOL....I literally spent 10 minutes looking up and making sure I had all of the correct abbreviations. Thank you in advance.

@Anonymous  The general rule for maximum fico is 3 roevolving and one install active.   Based on your current scores and profile, i would lean towards a Disco (secured if you need too, it does graduate) or a if you travel any you could check on Amex, i got my Delta gold (now Blue-NoAF) around those scores.   Looks like your Auto loan is paid off, you could look into a SSL (self-lender loan) for an installment.  Beyond that, i would just let what you have grow. I did the grab what i could as fast as i could and while i have a nice collection now, had i waited, i'm willing to bet i would have gotten higher SL's and better terms too.  Do what is best for you and your credit goals long term.  Only you know what you want to accomplish Smiley Happy

Look forward to hearing of your success.  

Message 2 of 3
DIYcredit
Frequent Contributor

Re: What is my next step?

Everytime you open a new credit accounts it lowers your aaoa plus the hard inquiry.You have a thin file so these actions will affect your Fico score more than someone with an established credit history.You should use your two cc's and make monthly on time payments and keep cc utilization 1-6%.And no more apps.When your oldest credit account is three years old you will not be considered a thin/young file and maybe down the road sometime you can get better cc's if that's what you want to do.It's always more important how you manage your credit accounts opposed to how many or what variety of credit accounts your have.Two cc's is fine just learn the azeo method.These positive actions and the derogatory information aging and becoming older your FICO score will improve over time.GOOD LUCK...

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.