Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is a judgment a judgment

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When is a judgment a judgment

Some key points to remember when being sued:

1) Paperwork is everything. Make sure documents are filed on time. Make copies of anything you file.

2) Prior to the court date, everything is negotiable. Don't be afraid to negotiate! The worst they can say is no. Remember that even after they win a judgment, they still have to collect, and you have a lot of options to stymie them. They know that. If you owe, say, $2000, and can document that you're currently poor, they might rather have $800 in sure, up-front cashola they don't have to jump through hoops to collect, instead of getting a judgment for $2000 that they might spend years trying to collect and yet not make any headway on. Just make sure the motion is dismissed--that way it stays off your credit report.

3) Always show up to court dates.

A little personal experience here: a while back I got served with an eviction. Just bad financial luck, all the planets lining up the wrong way. My court date was set, and I wasn't even planning on going. What's the point, I thought. But my girlfriend nagged me, so off to court I went. And wouldn't you know it: she had the right idea. About five minutes before the appointed hour, the attorney for the landlord beckoned me into the hallway, and made me an offer I couldn't refuse: if I vacated within four days, the case would be dismissed! I already had lined up another place, so I took the deal. I didn't have to pay beaucoup money, and there was no black mark up against my name.
Message 11 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.