cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which to pay first: credit cards with high balances, or an old collection?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which to pay first: credit cards with high balances, or an old collection?

I am 19 and already I have terrible credit, but it's because of my irresponsibleness. I want to change this, so I saved up enough money to pay off some of my debt.

I have around $2,750 in credit card debt -- around 4 credit cards with low limits, but all around 90% with their balances. I've never missed a payment, so that's really the only good thing about them. The card with the highest credit line is 1,000, and the others range from 300 to 600 dollars.

I also have a 1 year old collection account from a hospital visit.

I want to improve my credit score, it's currently at around 570. The oldest credit card I have is around a year old.

I saved up enough money to either pay off the collection account or to pay off my credit cards; which is better to pay off for your credit? I heard that even if you pay off collections, the score doesn't rise up. But then again a collection is a terrible thing to have on your credit report.

Most credit cards have around the same 20% APR...
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which to pay first: credit cards with high balances, or an old collection?

You will see a bigger FICO increase by paying off current debt.

If you can Pay for Delete on the Collection then it is a great thing....but I would pay off the existing credit card debt then when you have the $$ saved to pay the collection in full you can try a PFD letter.

Paying your revolving CC's down is a guaranteed increase and if you are at 90% it will be a big one.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.