Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

medical collection

tag
justanotherquestion
Contributor

medical collection

just got a letter from a CA stating balance owed from some medical procedure from 201. never got anything from the dr or anyone else, the problem is i lived in one state when this procedure was done and now live in another, how does the SOL work? is medical debt contractual or not?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
justanotherquestion
Contributor

Re: medical collection

2011 sorry.

Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Before worrying about civil action, and thus SOL, do you acknowledge the debt, and if so, are you planning to negotiate payment, such as a settlement or pay for not reporting?

Your current decision is whether to send a request for debt validation, or to contact them and negotiate for payment.

If you send a DV request within 30 days of their dunning notice, it will impose a cease collection bar on the debt collector, which will preclude them from any collection activities, including negotiation of a settlement or pay for not reporting.  They will be under no period for or requirement to send any validation, so a DV may put you in a state of limbo until they choose to send validation.  Are you OK with that, and want validation before paying, or do you acknowledge the debt, and want to move directly to getting it discharged?

The SOL will be determined by the state where they bring civil action.  Debt collectors have the option under the FDCPA to bring civil action in either the state of current residency of the consumer or in the state where you signed the contract that created the debt.  For several legal and administrative reasons, they will normally bring any civil action in your state of current residency.  The SOL may vary depending upon whether you signed a written contract.  What is your state of residency?

Message 3 of 6
justanotherquestion
Contributor

thank you robert.  in my understanding the SOL has run out i live in florida now and have been here for 4 years i have no intention of paying this. collection agency is convergent and the fact this is 6 years old and i have never had any communcation about this from anyone i am not paying.

Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Then I would send a timely DV, which will impose a cease collection bar.

Message 5 of 6
justanotherquestion
Contributor

the SOL is 4 years in florida as far as i can tell, so they really can't do much and my income is in the protected class

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.