Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From one CA to another...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

From one CA to another...

I have a collection that I have been offering the CA a PFD on. They have never given me any response until today...I receive a collection notice from a CA in my current state. (I moved about 6 months ago) I'm assuming that they sold the collection. This a medical collection which I am currently in the middle of the Hippa process on. My question...If the one CA sold it does this mean they are no longer reporting it on my CR's? I haven't pulled them in a month or so.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
203bravo
Established Contributor

Re: From one CA to another...

Are you certian that it has been sold and not only assigned to a CA? (the OC is reporting a $0 balance?)  HIPAA works best when you deal with the OC.

But the direct answer to your question - yes only 1 CA can process and report it at any given time - along with the OC of course.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If this is medical debt, then it should be assigned, not sold. And, you should hop on over to the medical debt forum and follow the HIPAA process to the letter, including starting with opting out.

Message 3 of 10
203bravo
Established Contributor

I tend to agree, however I have seen some medical debts that have been sold. It's the exception and not the expectation though.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went ahead and moved the post over here to the medical debt board because in your OP you mention you have been PFD'ing and also mention the HIPAA process. Maybe someone can chime in on that, I wasn't aware PFD was part of the HIPAA process.

As for a CA reporting once they no longer have the account, the answer is no. If they have hired another CA to collect for the, then yes. If they washed their hands of the debt and are no longer involved, no. However, this applies to general collections and shouldn't be taken for medical collections.

Message 5 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

In most instances, med debt is assigned. However, large hospital debts that are old can be sold and resold.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok I am not PFD'ing on this one just going through the Hippa Process with it. The OC has nothing to do with this anymore. It's a small medical bill...only $41.
Message 7 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Good idea! I don't recommend PFDs with med collections.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where do I go from here then? This account is unpaid and it was verified. I received a green card from them in the mail a couple of days ago. Do I continue this process with the old CA or do I have to start over with the new CA?

Message 9 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Start over with the new CA. As for the old CA, since its unpaid, use scenario #2.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.