cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HIPAA Timing Question on Next Steps

tankage
Member

HIPAA Timing Question on Next Steps

This forum has been incredibly helpful as I have started my journey to get a couple of paid collections removed from my CRs.

 

I have a couple of questions in terms of timing to start the next steps.  Sorry in advance for the lengthy timeline but here is what has transpired so far.

 

I have 1 Paid Collection reporting with both TU and EX.  I have 2 Paid Collections reporting with EQ.

 

3/31- Opted out

4/1-Pre-HIPPAA, in pen/stationary, sent to all 3 CRAs CM

4/6 pre-HIPPAA delivered and signed for by 3 CRAs CM

4/18-response letters mailed to me by EX and EQ requiring that I send them additional documents to verify my identity (Copies of Utility Bills&Paycheck Receipt&Drivers License).  Resent documents requested via CM to both EX and EQ.

4/23-Additional documents delivered and signed for by EX and EQ

5/1- Pulled reports for all 3 agencies:

EX =showing consumer disputes, re-investigation on 1 paid collection accounts,

EQ =showing consumer disputes, re-investigation on 2 paid collection accounts

TU =showing 1 paid collection account, does not show that consumer disputes and only indicates Date Verified: 4/09

 

Here are my questions:

1-I have been waiting patiently to send the ALTERNATIVE MED DV LETTER TO THE CA after the initial 35 days.  For EX and EQ does the 35 days start after I sent them the additional documents on 4/23 or from the date they received the pre-HIPPAA letter on 4/6?  Or do I need to wait until the investigation is complete?

2-I have yet to receive anything from TU from the initial pre-HIPPAA letter and in pulling the report only see that the date was verified but nothing in regards to the consumer disputing.  Do I go ahead and send the ALTERNATIVE MED DV LETTER TO THE CA on day 35 which by my math would be 5/11 from the day that TU received the first letter on 4/6 eventhough I have not received anything from them at all?  Or does this fall into the FTC complaint bucket since they are not disclosing that the consumer disputes?

 

Any insight would be hugely appreciated!

 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: HIPAA Timing Question on Next Steps

The CRAs have an additional 15 days to investigate after the additional information was received. Wait for all three to complete their investigations, then post the results before continuing on with the HIPAA process.
Message 2 of 11
tankage
Member

Re: HIPAA Timing Question on Next Steps

fused-Thanks a bunch-your wealth of knowledge here is very helpful.  I hopefully will get some results soon and will post them before taking the next step.

Message 3 of 11
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: HIPAA Timing Question on Next Steps

Let us know how it goes.
Message 4 of 11
tankage
Member

Re: HIPAA Timing Question on Next Steps

I finally received the investigation results from TU yesterday from my pre-HIPPA letter.  It looks like all that was changed in my file is what I saw when pulling my CR from TU on 5/1.  This is what is indicated on the collection account on the TU Report:

Balance: $0

Date Verified: 04/2009

Original Amount: $125

Orignal Creditor:  MED1 02 TEXAS HEALTH...

Pay Status:  PAYMENT AFTER CHARGE OFF/COLLECTION

Account Type:  OPEN ACCOUNT

Responsibility: INDIVIDUAL ACCOUNT

Date Closed:  02/2009

Date Paid:  02/2009

Loan Type: COLLECTION AGENCY/ATTORNEY

Remarks: PAID COLLECTION

Date Placed for collection:  09/2007

Estimated Date for removal:  12/2013

 

I guess this is simply the DV, but am surprised there is no mention of Consumer Disputes as was done at EX and EQ.  Should I wait before sending the ALT MED DV letter to the CA until I receive the investigation results from the other 2 CRAs?

Message Edited by tankage on 05-09-2009 07:49 AM
Message 5 of 11
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: HIPAA Timing Question on Next Steps

Yes, do scenario #3. Make a hard copy of the TU report that proves they didn't properly investigate your dispute. If all else fails, this report can be used against TU in the form a complaint filed with the FTC.
Message 6 of 11
tankage
Member

Re: HIPAA Timing Question on Next Steps

I had a HUGE win today! 

 

I pulled up my EQ report and low and behold I had 2 medical collections removed from my CR.  Additionally-they removed one other credit card account(my wife's) that I was disputing separately that had 1- 30 day late payment a few years ago.  After seeing this removed, I pulled a Score Power report and my score went from 693 to 802 overnight  Smiley Happy

 

The results of my EX investigation are still pending, so I am waiting to get the response from them before taking the next steps on scenario 3.  Assuming that I get the response back from EX (and assuming the collection is not removed) in the next couple of days, I plan to send the Alt DV letter to the CA, then will send the follow-up letters to both EX and TU once receiving the green card.

Message 7 of 11
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: HIPAA Timing Question on Next Steps

Wow! Congrats!!!!!! This is wonderful news, you're in the 800+ club...the nose bleed section.Smiley Very Happy
Message 8 of 11
tankage
Member

Re: HIPAA Timing Question on Next Steps

Fused-thanks again for all your help-this was only possible thru your sharing of wisdom!

 

 I got to thinking and was counting days associated with my Pre-HIPAA letter and subsequent submission of the additional documents for EX.  EX received my initial Pre-HIPAA on 4/2/09, then they received the additional documents on 4/22.  Based on your prior statement, it has been 40 days since the first letter and 20 days since they received the additional documents.  Since I am beyond the additional 15 days, and have not yet received anything from EX, should I go ahead and send out the Alt DV letter to the CA or just continue to wait until I officially receive anything from EX?  The collection is still showing up as under investigation.   I am probably being over anxious...I guess I just have the taste for blood now that I have seen some success  Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 11
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: HIPAA Timing Question on Next Steps

Give it 10 more days and watch your report. If EX does not inform you of their decision, it might be time to file a complaint against them with the FTC.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.