Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ambien

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Ambien

@Lel wrote:

I have had adverse reactions to Ambien.  There have been published reports of erratic behavior by persons taking Ambien.  About 5 or 6 years ago there were some well-publicized reports of sleep-driving, and the FDA issued a warning about this phenomenon and other unusual behavior.

In one case, I took a 10mg dose while vacationing on Maui in 2003.  In order to wake up early enough to drive to the top of Haleakala to watch the sunrise (overrated, in my opinion Smiley Tongue), I had to fall asleep around 6:00pm - not easy to do when the sun is still shining brightly and you can hear toddlers running about.  According to my wife, I was reading a book before falling asleep.  I was reading a passage out loud to her, and I started to speak with a drawl.  She told me to put down the book, and I said something like, "before we get to Copenhagen, we have to stop by Oslo."  I said some other bizarre things, got out of bed a few times for no apparent reason, got something to eat in the kitchen, then abruptly fell asleep.  I have absolutely no recollection of any of this.

A similar incident happened a few months later.  That time I took only a 5mg dose, but again I was doing and saying some weird things.  My wife almost took me to the hospital.  Again, complete amnesia of any of this.  That was the last time I took Ambien.

Even though Ambien and some of the newer sleep aids aren't supposed to affect sleep patterns as much as other medications, like Valium, there's some evidence that it does affect the amount of time spent in REM sleep, and perhaps increases the amount of time in deeper sleep stages (stages 3 and 4).  Though these deep stages of sleep are more restful, it's also when abnormal behavior (parasomnias) are more likely to occur.  And if wake up out of one of these deep stages, as opposed to lighter sleep, you're more likely to have that groggy and unrested feeling, which I've also experienced.

Clearly, there are tens of thousands of people out there who are taking Ambien without problems, and the odds of something really weird happening are very low.  But boy, when it happens to you, it's pretty freaky - moreso to the people around you!

Yikes! Smiley Surprised Huge yikes! You're just about the most level-headed person that I know, and if it's doing this to you...

* has more grateful thoughts that I usually sleep very well and easily *

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 11 of 29
casmith1980
Established Contributor

the only part of the "crazy" that I find humoring when I take my Ambien and stay awake a bit too long is sometimes the pictures on my bedroom wall look like they're 3D image lol

It's really entertaining when I tell my husband I'm seeing that...he usually replies with "sounds like you're about ready to drift off, love you!"

Smiley Happy

Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15
Anticipated discharge 3/10/15

Goal: 700 by 3/2017
Message 12 of 29
Scamp
Valued Contributor

I'm glad this thread is here - good grief!  I am never  going to risk Ambien, after reading the above posts. Smiley Surprised  Effects like that would completely freak me out.

Thank you OP and everyone else who's described their experience with this sleep aid - I've been dealing for several months with a middle-of-the-night insomnia and am now more grateful than ever that my doc prescribed me an older sleep aid rather than this or one of the other newer ones with similar bizarre side effects.

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 13 of 29
Booner72
Senior Contributor

I have done bad bad things on Ambien.  BAD.  Shoulda been arrested as this included driving.  I though I had to run to the store to get DH some tylenol for a bad toothache - had already taken the Ambien -  Thought that it would be faster to go through a field to my house than driving on the road straight, then left, then left again.  STUPID STUPID STUPID.  I was so lucky I didn't get arrested and I was even luckier I didn't kill someone.  Not to mention the 100 dollars I spent at the store buying the Tylenol.  The store is a blackout but I saw my account the next day.  The driving I faintly remember.  BAD BAD BAD.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 14 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fused wrote:

Do you two mean wasted when you wake up in the morning? I work in healthcare, and many patients have had positive things to say about Ambien. Please share.Smiley Happy

By wasted I meant if I stayed up 30 or 40 minutes after taking it, like the OP said in a reply, the pictures on my wall looked like they were 3D and I felt drunkish Smiley Very Happy

But I never had any of the symptoms that the other repliers have stated, I woke up in the morning feeling refreshed, but like I also said in my first reply, I grew a tolerance to Ambien pretty quickly and needed to take 2, 5mg tabs to put me to sleep.

I took Ambien for maybe 3 months and had no problems just stopping cold turkey, lucky me.

Message 15 of 29
KaLin
Administrator Emeritus

Has anyone tried taking Melatonin instead of Ambien or Lunesta?  I had heard all the horror stories of sleep walking/sleep driving, etc. with both and swore I'd never take either one, if I could help it.

I went through some serious health issues this year that seriously interrupted my sleep patterns.  I did a lot of research and reading and stumbled across some articles and testimonials for melatonin as a non prescription sleep aid.  It seems our bodies already produce the chemical, but illness and age can cause a reduction in the amount our bodies produce.  So, I thought I'd give it a try.

Normal dose is just 1 - 3mg, but it didn't take that much for me.  I only take 400mcg at night about an hour before bedtime and it has worked wonders for me. . . no hungover effects in the morning and I wake up ready to start a new day.  It's worked wonders for me and I feel better about taking something that my body produces naturally, rather than something chemically produced that has the potential for some serious side effects.

Message 16 of 29
casmith1980
Established Contributor

Where would I purchase this? GNC or whole foods or any pharmacy? Sorry if I sound naive, but I've never purchased vitamins, etc Smiley Sad
Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15
Anticipated discharge 3/10/15

Goal: 700 by 3/2017
Message 17 of 29
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I think I've seen it on the supplements aisle at any regular grocery store and pharmacy.

My son took it for a while, and it did seem to help. His main "insomnia" issue was staying up until the wee hours killing aliens, and then being too revved to sleep. Smiley Very Happy

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 18 of 29
KaLin
Administrator Emeritus

HTSU is correct.  I get mine at Walgreen's.  You can also order it from any supplement house online.  Puritan's Pride recently had a BOGO special and I got 2 bottles of 200mcg tablets for under $7.00  Smiley Very Happy

Message 19 of 29
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

I've tried melatonin to combat jet lag for overseas trips.  It didn't really work for me, but these trips always get me keyed up a bit so it's unlikely that anything would have helped.

These days, if I need a little help falling asleep I take a couple tablets of generic Benadryl.  Or start trying to read The Deciding Factor: The Power of Analytics to Make Any Decision a Winner.

[The mention of the use of generic Benadryl (diphenhydramine) or melatonin should not be construed as a recommendation for your own personal use.  Before initiating therapy with any medication, please consult your physician.]

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.