Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing my name on BofA accounts

tag
TC1223
New Contributor

Changing my name on BofA accounts

I just wanted to share an odd, but esentially funny encounter with a rep at BofA.

The other day, I went into a BofA branch to change my last name on my accounts because I finally received my SS card with my new last name.

I didn't have my new DL yet, but I did have the temporary DL that DMV gives you while you wait for it in the mail. 

I go into the branch, waited ~15 minutes, talked to the rep, handed him my old DL and temporary DL (with my new last name), marriage certificate, and SS card. He tells me (confrontationally) that they can't accept my SS card and the temporary DL as a form of ID because they have to go by what's on my acutal license.

So, I calmly told him that the SS card came in, I just came from the DMV and they gave me the temporary (paper) DL. He says that he needs to talk to his manager and leaves with all the paperwork. He comes back a few minutes later and tells me (with a smug look on his face) that he is not able to help, that my (paper) DL couldn't be accepted, and that my marriage certificate is invalid. His reasoning was that my marriage certificate is an "international" document and that it was something that they do not accept.

I shook my head, smiled, then asked, "So, you consider a marriage certificate from Hawaii, international?" He looked at me blankly for a minute, and by now, I'm really trying to hold in my laughter because this experience just really took a turn for the weird. Smiley LOL

My husband was born abroad, so I assumed that's what he and his manager saw this and ignored the rest of the document. Also, right on top of the certificate is the (big) official seal of the state of Hawaii, so I really don't know how they missed that. I live in California, btw.

He leaves again, with all my paperwork, comes back and apologizes and tells me that he's going to process my paperwork and that in the future, they (BofA) goes by what's on my current DL. This is also the third encounter with a BofA rep that has been real <mod snip - please don't try to get around the profanity filter.  Thanks! - KiB> in the last few days.

I just wanted to share with everyone the weirdness that I encountered by attempting to change my name on my bank accounts because... Why not? Smiley LOL

UPDATE: I finally recieved my debit card in the mail and it still has my maiden name on it and no CCs. LOL 

I was on the phone with card services and was transferred over to several people. The final person I spoke with did not have caller ID, so she called me on a different line, while I was on the phone with her to verify my ID because of a fraud alert I have on my CRs. 

Go figure.

She got everything sorted out and said that the card(s) would be sent with express mail. LOL

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Changing my name on BofA accounts

That's an amusing anecdote.  Glad you got it sorted out!  I know here in Massachusetts the paper licenses and IDs specifically say "not valid for identification purposes," do they not say that in CA?

Message 2 of 4
TC1223
New Contributor

They do, but I also gave him my DL with my maiden name on it, since it had my photo, along with my SS card. I was just trying to get my name changed on my accounts, since I was there. Otherwise, I would probably not change it for a few months since I rarely ever go into a branch nowadays.

Message 3 of 4
Medic981
Valued Contributor

What I find interesting is that your new SS card with your SSN on it has your new married name on it. You satisfied the federal government enough to be able to get them to reissue you a new SS card. Your SSN is obviously on your bank account. Yet, BoA wants to make your life more difficult than it has to be. Sheesh! I know rules are rules but let us use some common sense. In Colorado, all you have to do is write your new address on the back of your DL with indelible ink and you are good until your next renewal, not that that helps with a name change.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.