Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global Entry v. NEXUS

tag
RSX
Valued Contributor

Re: Global Entry v. NEXUS

I will be trying Nexus soon.   When I got onto the website for the Chase United Global Entey discount, Nexus seemed like the better bet

i am traveling to Canada in Jan (I go at least twice a year) and booked the interview to coincide with my trip

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 11 of 18
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

I have interviewed in a Nexus/GE location (close to the border), but only for the Global Entry. I do not understand why NEXUS would be cheaper. I would definitely go the NEXUS route on renewal if this is the case. Although..... GE would be covered by at least three of my cards, and not NEXUS. Hmmm...

Message 12 of 18
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

So here is a fun idea....it almost appeared like NEXUS 50$ coded the same as GE. I find this fun because we can use the $100 credit on one card and see if the $50 NEXUS credit codes the same on the different card and still get a credit.

Let's be real, everyone and their mother offers "GE credit" so why not see if you can use it as another Trusted Traveler program.

Any DPs, add them here!

CARDS:
AMEX CS Plat | NSL -- Chase Freedom Flex | $19,000
AMEX Gold | NSL -- Citi Double Cash | $10,000
AMEX HH NAF | $1,000 -- Uber Visa | $5,000
CSR | $29,000 -- USAA Plat | $8,000
USAA AMEX | $23,000 -- MB Boundless | $11,900 -- CFU | $3,600 -- PenFed Pathfinder | $10,000 -- MS Plat | NSL

BANKS:
NFCU | USAA | PenFed | Schwab Bank | First Bank | Chase
Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

TSA has approved and accepted another option for those living in the states of: Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont, and Washington.

You can obtain a State-issued enhanced drivers licenses (EDLs) provide proof of identity and U.S. citizenship, are issued in a secure process, and include technology that makes travel easier. They provide travelers with a low-cost, convenient alternative for entering the United States from Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean through a land or sea port of entry, in addition to serving as a permit to drive.

The Department has been working with states to enhance their drivers licenses and identification documents to comply with travel rules under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), effective June 1, 2009.

Enhanced drivers licenses make it easier for U.S. citizens to cross the border into the United States because they include a vicinity Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) chip that will signal a secure system to pull up your biographic and biometric data for the CBP officer as you approach the border inspection booth, and a Machine Readable Zone (MRZ) or barcode that the CBP officer can read electronically if RFID isn't available.

The top 39 land ports of entry, which process more than 95 percent of land border crossings, are equipped with RFID technology that helps facilitate travel by individual presenting EDLs or one of the other RFID-enabled documents.

Further, the "Enhanced Driver's License" satisfies the "Real ID" requirements for domestic travel.

Message 14 of 18
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

TSA has approved and accepted another option for those living in the states of: Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont, and Washington... Further, the "Enhanced Driver's License" satisfies the "Real ID" requirements for domestic travel.

I still have yet to acquire an EDL. I always carry my Passport card with me (which is what they are trying to incorporate in the EDL).

Message 15 of 18
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

@staticvoidmain wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

TSA has approved and accepted another option for those living in the states of: Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont, and Washington... Further, the "Enhanced Driver's License" satisfies the "Real ID" requirements for domestic travel.

I still have yet to acquire an EDL. I always carry my Passport card with me (which is what they are trying to incorporate in the EDL).

Your passport card is good for 10 years, while an EDL only for six years.  You're better off right now.

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 16 of 18
tacpoly
Established Contributor

New York state residents are barred from joining Trusted Traveler Programs (Global Entry, Nexus, etc...) and about 175,000 existing members of Trusted Traveler Programs will be kicked out by the end of the year.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/immigration/trump-officials-threaten-to-expand-retaliation-for-sanctu...

Message 17 of 18
RSX
Valued Contributor

Follow up

i was approved last week. Card arrives in 2 weeks

if I had it this past Sunday, I wouldn't have missed a flight.  (Customs line duration was 3X normal....)

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.