cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many Credit Cards does the average MF member have?

tag
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: How many Credit Cards does the average MF member have?

@wasCB14 wrote:

For those with several dozen cards...

I can see the value of autopay, but do you do anything special to be quickly alerted to unauthorized use of a card (as in a professional criminal getting your card info, not a friend or relative "borrowing" the card)? Not every lender offers useful (or timely) alerts, and a lot of people can pay little attention to them over time if the alerts are just about normal activity.

Rightly or wrongly, I feel I'd have a better chance in a dispute if I'm contacting the bank within hours, rather than weeks after a fraud.

I enable notification-of-use options whenever a card supports it.  That covers a sizable percentage of my cards.

I also have a pattern where I eyeball my accounts fairly regularly.  That isn't as onerous as it may at first seem as there are multiple issuers with which I have multiple cards and I stagger my checks. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 71 of 79
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

I can see the value of autopay, but do you do anything special to be quickly alerted to unauthorized use of a card (as in a professional criminal getting your card info, not a friend or relative "borrowing" the card)? Not every lender offers useful (or timely) alerts, and a lot of people can pay little attention to them over time if the alerts are just about normal activity.

Rightly or wrongly, I feel I'd have a better chance in a dispute if I'm contacting the bank within hours, rather than weeks after a fraud.

I enable notification-of-use options whenever a card supports it.  That covers a sizable percentage of my cards.

I also have a pattern where I eyeball my accounts fairly regularly.  That isn't as onerous as it may at first seem as there are multiple issuers with which I have multiple cards and I stagger my checks. 

I also like to "cluster" cards with a few issuers...6 Amex, 5 Chase. Right now 17 cards (I've already been counted in this thread) across 7 issuers feels like a lot.

Of course, there was a time when 7-9 cards across 4 issuers seemed like maximum complexity, so I guess one can get accustomed to a lot.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 72 of 79
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@wasCB14 

Yes, I have alerts set on most of my cards. I also scan through them from time to time. Looking for anything out of the ordinary.

Message 73 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update:

Up to Message #73

Member # = 38

Total Cards = 612

myFICO avg = 16.11 Cards per myFICO Member

Message 74 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

Yep. I have every card that has notifications set to notify me when a transaction occurs. The only card I can't do this with is my PayPal Cashback but I check the PayPal app a few times a month for anything suspicious there. 

Message 75 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Update:

Up to Message #73

Member # = 38

Total Cards = 612

myFICO avg = 16.11 Cards per myFICO Member

WOW those heavy hitters really boosted that average 😂 

Message 76 of 79
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

So wishing this thread could have been permitted in a Kudo applicable section...Smiley Happy

Message 77 of 79
wasCB14
Super Contributor

How concentrated is your spend?

I haven't run my 2019 numbers, but my 2018 numbers had a Gini coefficient of 0.605...so about as equally distributed as income in Haiti (not very equal).

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 78 of 79
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

@wasCB14 that actually made me smile. It's been a while since I dealt with Gini coefficients.

Ta

Message 79 of 79
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.