Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Interview Tomorrow

tag
Batsamandrobin
Regular Contributor

Job Interview Tomorrow

A random post, but I'm feeling a bit nervous about a job interview tomorrow AM. I recently graduated from college, and although I made decent money working my way through school, this job would be a few rungs up the ladder. I'm trying not to get the pre-interview jitters but not having much luck. There's lots of wisdom on this forum, so I thought I'd reach out for a few last minute interview tips/suggestions? 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Job Interview Tomorrow

Good luckSmiley Happy Not not sure what advice to give, I haven't been on a job interview in years but wanted to wish you the best with it.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will leave you with the one piece of advice my mentor told me when interviewing, which in my opinion has gotten me nearly every job I have applied for:

"I can teach you how to do your job, I can't teach you how NOT to be an [insert a-word here]"

It wasn't meant for me, lol, but what she was saying was that people want to hire someone they don't mind being around for long periods of time--not saying that experience doesn't matter. Most jobs you spend a minimum of 8 hours around your co-workers every day; that's a long time to spend around a [insert a-word here].

Basically just be super personable with a great balance of professionality but also the same comfortability like you are talking to a friend. Oh and don't forget to smile, you would be surprised how many people I have interviewed that forget to do that because they are nervous Smiley Wink

Good luck!

Message 3 of 6
Kree
Established Contributor

Sorry if this doesn't reach you before your interview, but I concure with what is said.  Personality and reliability is much more important than book learning or skills.   The last 2 positions I had to hire for, I could have trained a seal to do the work. But:

1. It would have taken too long, and I don't have the time available.

2. I would never trust the seal to work unsupervised.

Few people go into a job knowing how to do the job. But if you only need 2 days of training instead of 2 weeks you will be well ahead of the pack.  This is why so many people focus on basic office skills. Using outlook, word. Turning a computer on and off.  Because if you need 2 weeks of training to use the tools needed to start training for your job, you are well behind the curve.

Message 4 of 6
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

1. Research the company.

2. Know the job and what they're looking for.

3. Research past interviews on Glassdoor for questions.

4. Research behavioral questions and have your answers in a STAR format.

5. And remember, it's a two way. You landed an interview, they are interested and obviously think you're qualified. This is to see if you can fit with the company, the team and the culture. 

Message 5 of 6
marty56
Super Contributor

If you are a recent graduate. make sure that you have taken courses that directly deal with what you will be doing at the job.  For example if you are applying for a software development position, unless you have work related software development experience, make sure you haver taken several programming classes.

I have seen people with Computer Science degrees who don't have any programming classes like C, Python, etc.  We would not hire a recent graduate for a programming job if the didn't have any programming courses.

Also make sure you focus on the general job things like being able to work in a team environment.  It doesn't matter how smart you are if you can't work with people, it is game over.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.