cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joint Checking Account Problem - PLEASE HELP!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Joint Checking Account Problem - PLEASE HELP!

I went to the bank yesterday to get my ex-boyfriend off of our joint checking account.  He is, right now $477 overdrawn.  I have my own account now, at a different bank, but my name is still attached to this account.  When I went to the bank to get my name off, I was told that unless I showed them a death certificate, the only way to get my name off, is to close the account.  Of course, he's not dead (although right now.................., ha, ha).  Anyway, he won't answer his door or his phone, so I can't get a hold of him to get him to go with me to close the account.  Even if I could get a hold of him, I know he won't do it because it is the only way he can cash his check as he doesn't have a valid drivers license, therefore he can't open another account.  Does anyone have ANY suggestion of what to do to get this fixed?  The bank told me that if his account go to collections, it will go on my credit report too, since it is a joint account.  Help anyone????????????
Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Joint Checking Account Problem - PLEASE HELP!

Well my evil self would close that account before he racks up more debt. He doesn't answer the phone or door well then he is going to avoid the situation. Usually you can't remove one name unless there is a death. The bad thing is that you are liable for that overdraft as much as him. Good luck.
Message 2 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

BTW it only takes one co signer to close an account....I am married and I have closed them before and never had to have my husband there.
Message 3 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

They told me I couldn't close it without him being here.  This is 5/3, are they screwing me around?
Message 4 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Called my friend that is a bank teller....she said usually only one co signer need be present with ID to close a joint account but she also said it should not be negative when you close it...I think if I were you I would go talk to them again.
Message 5 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!  I will do that tomorrow.  He has a direct deposit going in tonight, and I put a hold on his ATM card (he doesn't know he just needs to call to get it activated).  I told them it was either lost or stolen!!!  I don't know if they'll try to arrest him if he tries to use it, but at this point, it's not my problem.  I just want my name off the account.  I get off early tomorrow, so I'm going to head straight to the bank and get it closed!  I'll let you know if I'm able to.  I appreciate you calling your friend to see what she said!
Message 6 of 32
athensguy
Valued Contributor

If they refuse to close it, I would guess they would have a harder time holding you liable for any further overdrafts. Get as much in writing as you can.
Message 7 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good idea.  I will get it in writing if they refuse to close it.  I looked at the balance this morning (after his check deposited) and the balance is only negative a little over $9 now, so I am going to offer to pay the balance and then close it.  It sure would be cheaper than trying to get it off my credit report later!  I sure do hope they let me close this thing.  I'll let you both know what happens!
Message 8 of 32
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

The only way that they are NOT screwing you around is if the account is titled AND. Example-lovebrowns AND lovebrowns boyfriend. If it is titled lovbrowns OR lovebrowns boyfriend, then you are able to close that account on your own. If they don't allow you to do so, escalate it up the ladder until you get your satisfaction.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

so if it does say Lynda AND Dan, then they don't have to let me close it?  Because I think it says AND, not OR.
Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.