cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New AMEX metal *GOLD* cards!

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex PRG Just Got Better! $250 AF

Smiley SurprisedSmiley SurprisedSmiley Surprised

@Streetervillelady wrote:

Disappointed!  I requested a Rose Gold non-contactless card via chat on 10/4/18.  I followed up with a call.  I was told all cards are non-contactless unless contactless is requested.  I was also told expedited delivery was not possible.

Burned 1000 calories running to my mailbox last week.  FINALLY, it arrived Saturday. A contactless Rose Gold card that feels a lot like hard plastic! 

Phoned this morning to make a second request for a non-contactless card.  The CSR seemed unfamiliar with the term.  So, I requested a chip and signature only card.  Which he was happy to expedite.  "You can expect to receive your replacement card on October 25, 2018."  Excuse me, that’s expedited?  "Yes, madam it is, with our current number of requests."

Woman SurprisedWoman Frustrated

CURRENT FAVORITE CARD: American Express Rose Gold Card
Message 61 of 123
Regular Contributor

I applied and was approved for the Gold card on 10/7 (last Sunday) and my card still says Pending. Hoping they’ll extend my 90 day bonus earning period even though I’ve made a few purchases via Apple Pay already.

I also PC’d my BCP to a Cash magnet on 10/4 and got mine 2-day expedited, but my AUs is still pending! Not even a metal card, still not shipped. Amex must be very backed up!

If anyone has had both, could you post the differences in weight and feel between Gold contactless and non contactless.

AMEX Gold Card (10/18) - NPSL
AMEX Cash Magnet (01/17) - $27k
Capital One QS (06/16) - $1.35k
Chase Sapphire Reserve (02/18) - $11.4k
Discover It (03/17) - $3.2k

GOALS: Upgrade CSP to CSR in February
FICO: EX - 762, TU - 769
Message 62 of 123
New Contributor

I got the contactless version, and it is sandwiched, the top portion is metal, the bottom is some kind of plastic, it looks pretty obvious. I kinda wanna order a non-contactless version to do weight comparisons, havent seen anyone do that yet.

FICO TU - 755
FICO EX - 764
FICO EQ - 752
Message 63 of 123
Regular Contributor

@arodr071 wrote:
I got the contactless version, and it is sandwiched, the top portion is metal, the bottom is some kind of plastic, it looks pretty obvious. I kinda wanna order a non-contactless version to do weight comparisons, havent seen anyone do that yet.

I take it that, that version would be completely metal? Hmmmmmm. 

Can you have two cards or will it have to be a replacement card? 

Cap1 Quicksilver || Amex Gold || Amex BCE || Discover IT || Chase Freedom || BofA Travel || FNB Omaha Platinum Visa
Message 64 of 123
Valued Contributor

That’s the only report of a non-contactless card I’ve seen out of around 30 data points from people requesting non-contactless cards and getting them anyway.

Amex was never going to make this card as sturdy and heavy as the platinum. That’s part of the “allure” of the platinum. I have the contactless version and it feels nice. I don’t think I would want another card as heavy as the platinum. The ritz Carlton card while nice was too heavy for my tastes and I like metal cards.

Total Revolving Limits $194,600

FICO 8 scores 04/2019
EX-778
TU-714
EQ-716
Message 65 of 123
Valued Member

What's important is that we know that it exists. Most reps are clueless about it. I requested one last night and should get it 2 days from now. We'll see if I get the contactless or non.

Message 66 of 123
Frequent Contributor

My metal card was due to arrive on the 17th of this month should I give it another week before I call to invalidate that card and request for a resend? I called and the auto-robotic lady said I should have gotten the card and provided me with options. I have not spoken to a live CSR.  This has happened to me before with my CITI DCB. Eager beaver here requested for a resend and sure enough the day after I got the dam card... What do you guys think?

"Give me liberty, or give me credit!" -PlasticDad

Message 67 of 123
Frequent Contributor

Okay so how many of you are still waiting for the gold metal version via snail mail? ::: raising hand :::

Message 68 of 123
New Contributor

So looks like the first card the rep cancelled to instead send a non contactless was the first one I received last week. I ended up receiving the non contactless today. Since no one has commented on the differences here it is. 

They are literally the same thing altough for whatever reason the contactless feels more rigid and not as easy to bend. But they feel the same weight. I don't have a scale unfortunetly. I wonder if this is due to the larger chip in the contactless? 

Anyway the NON contactless is still sandwhiched, it just doesn't have the contactless chip in there. 

Here are the pics: 

20181027_163303.jpg20181027_164316.jpg20181027_164128.jpg

Message 69 of 123
Frequent Contributor

This is weird as I just got off the phone with CSR as my orig upgrade request was lost in the mail so I asked and confirmed that the resend will be contactless vs. the usual swipe and smile quite the opposite? I'll keep you posted when I actually get it and see what arrives... NOTE: good luck on the 'Rose Gold' for those who want this option sounds like a long wait and coming if that. I wanted to test the waters heheh...

Message 70 of 123
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.