Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tipping on a bill

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tipping on a bill

I've seen my friends include their tip in the final amount for the bill and put a zero on the tip line while my other friends put their tip on the tip line and the final amount of the bill. Does it make any difference of how much the wait staff is then reimbursed?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: Tipping on a bill

Put the tip amount. I had pizza delivery make up their own tip when I just filled in the total amount (first time in years).

Had to fight the establishment to get credit back.
Signature needs updating
Message 2 of 13
LipzyDaizy
Regular Contributor

Writing in the tip and the total is always best.  I work in a restaurant and we're very strict with what we put in as our tip. It must always match what our guest puts in as the total and its always to our guests advantage.  If the guests total is less than the actual written tip, we have to suck it up and deal with it.  So basic math skills are appreciated as well.  LOLSmiley Tongue

Current Scores - EX 658, EQ 713, TU 722
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Though I don't see how this is a question related to a credit card forum, I always just write down the total. I'm too lazy to do the math in my head or even pick out the phone to crunch the numbers. I just prefer having an even amount on my bill.
Message 4 of 13
DeadlyPersona
Frequent Contributor

Well, the OP did post this under SmorgasBoard and I don't think it violates the guidelines of what can be posted under that topic.  Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 13
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

@DeadlyPersona wrote:

Well, the OP did post this under SmorgasBoard and I don't think it violates the guidelines of what can be posted under that topic.  Smiley Wink

^^^^^

And OP is usng a credit card to pay a bill, and tipping via credit card is a related subject, OP post is definitely relevant to credit card usage and safety in being billed what s/he wants to be billed with a tip.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Though I don't see how this is a question related to a credit card forum, I always just write down the total. I'm too lazy to do the math in my head or even pick out the phone to crunch the numbers. I just prefer having an even amount on my bill.

This has been an interesting thread and a relevant question when using a debit/credit card. Often wondered how vendors would treat the placement of tips. Going further, I am interested in how the vendor deals with the employee and tips (do the employees get the tip if it is broken out or?). Good question.

Message 7 of 13
OnTheRebound
Established Contributor

@Imperfectfuture wrote:
Put the tip amount. I had pizza delivery make up their own tip when I just filled in the total amount (first time in years).

Had to fight the establishment to get credit back.

Same thing happened to my wife. Highly irritated, she called the manager and he said no problem, I will handle it. And he did. Plus the next pizza is on the house.

Amex BCE $11.1 / Citi Diamond Preferred WMC $12K / Citi Double Cash WMC $3.8K / Comenity Total Rewards Visa $2.5K / Citi Home Depot $5K / AU- Amex BCP $12K / Chase Freedom Visa $11014.00 / PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature $6K / GE Lowes $10K
myFico Scores on 10/03/2014
Eq 798 / Exp 811 / Trans 814
CCT Fico 08 on 1/3/16 - Trans 786 / Exp 793 / Eq 797
Message 8 of 13
dursty87
Established Contributor

I've been in restaurant management for years. Every restaurant I've worked at( mostly big chains) require employees to go off the total of the check and not the actual tip amount. So if you left a $10 tip but didn't write the total of the check, the employee is not able to claim that tip. Always fill out the total line, the tip line can be left blank in most cases!
Message 9 of 13
marty56
Super Contributor

I tip in cash but pay with a credit card.  DW used to work in a restaurant and the owner would "forget" to give her tips that were on a credit card.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.