Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You've just read a book ...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

You've just read a book ...

... now what? Do you keep it and read it again later? Give it away to a friend, thrift store, library, sell it at a yard sale, etc? Or do you toss it?
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
islandchild82
Frequent Contributor

Re: You've just read a book ...

I keep most of them. The best ones I save and try to read again, usually once a year. The others are stored in the garage. I pass on a lot of books, and the ones I don't get back are just less for me to store. Although I'm getting to that point where it may be a good idea to just donate them to a library or some other worthwhile cause.
Message 2 of 26
southernficoaddict
Frequent Contributor

I have books stuck everywhere.  Its ridiculous.  My favorites get a place of honor on the shelves and I read them again when I don't have anything new.  I have two all time favorite authors and I have read their books countless times.  DH doesn't read (well, he can read, just doesn't unless he has to) but thinks it is a sin to throw away a book, so they tend to build up around here.
Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I donate my books that my family has finished reading to the local armory so they can be passed on to soldier's who have been deployed. DI doesn't like to read, but said he did quite a bit while he was in Iraq and really enjoyed having them.
Message 4 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its nice to see that I'm not alone!! For me, a lot of my books are like old friends ... I'll "revisit" them every other year or so (usually right after I've read something new and have nothing else to read).

I LOVE to read (I'm a looney for quilting, sewing and techie magazines, but I'll read a cereal box if nothing else is at hand!) ... especially crime annals or forensic books and anything by John Douglas or Roy Hazelwood!

Hubby doesn't really read either. When he does, it's when he traveling and has to spend hours in an airport lounge or hotel room. Even then, for him, it's anything by Jules Verne or anything on SCUBA diving.

Hubby's the kind of guy, though, that just sees books as a waste of space. Once he reads it, he's busy either trying to trade it for another book with his friends/co-workers, or taking it to Goodwill!

Sooo ... who are ya'll's favorite authors?? Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ann Rule and Dean Koontz!

There was another thread about books and someone mentioned they had just read 'Odd Thomas'

I had read it a few years back and liked it, but couldn't really remember all of it very well, so I ordered it again. Koontz also has added more to the Odd series and I bought those as well. Just finished Odd Thomas and will be working on the next one.

The last one I read by Ann Rule was 'Too late to say goodbye'. It was so sad but one of her better books I think.
Message 6 of 26
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

We have 17 bookcases full of books  Smiley Very Happy

Hardbacks we keep, paperbacks we usually sell by the pound to Half Price Books!
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 7 of 26
southernficoaddict
Frequent Contributor

Nevada Barr and James Lee Burke.  JLB has an almost poetic way with writing.  Have read his books over and over.
Message 8 of 26
southernficoaddict
Frequent Contributor

Used to like John Grisham, but not so much anymore.  His first few were great.  DH was reading "the client " and I was going to read it after him.  Two days later he was still on Chap 1 so I took it away from him and read it to him, he loved it!  I think that was the last book he "read".
Message 9 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I try to loan out books I enjoyed.  I guess I usually keep them, though it certainly wouldn't hurt to sell a few to Half Price Books.  Come to think, I probably have several pounds worth!

Ayn Rand.
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.