cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what do you consider to be a vast sum of MR/UR points?

tag
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

Re: what do you consider to be a vast sum of MR/UR points?

@tacpoly wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

@tacpoly wrote:
Just heard about a friend of a friend who charges almost $50k a day. He would rotate the charges between several cards. Apparently he has almost 10 million MR points from the past year alone.

not on 50$ a day he does not.  even after a few cocktails I can still figure that math lol

edit, lol sorry I missed the `k' @ the end.  I am going to call bs on this, even my ex-wife does not charge this much lol

Really?  We know what he is charging on his business credit cards and it's actually pretty reasonable.  My friend and this guy are in similar fields, the only difference is that this guy has his own business.  

18mil a year?  I am impressed

Message 11 of 16
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

If you own a business, spending 50k/mo on a business credit card is totally reasonable, especially if the business involves manufacturing and/or selling products. Gotta buy the inventory from somewhere, might as well collect points while you're doing it.

I only put about 15-20% of that amount on my cards in a month, but I don't own a business. Half of it is personal expenses (rent, utilities, and everything else that takes plastic), the other half is reimbursable work expenses, mostly from booking my own work travel. But I could easily see how a business owner would charge 5x as much as I do on their cards. I'm pretty sure my small company's owner does.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 12 of 16
iced
Valued Contributor

@bourgogne wrote:

@tacpoly wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

@tacpoly wrote:
Just heard about a friend of a friend who charges almost $50k a day. He would rotate the charges between several cards. Apparently he has almost 10 million MR points from the past year alone.

not on 50$ a day he does not.  even after a few cocktails I can still figure that math lol

edit, lol sorry I missed the `k' @ the end.  I am going to call bs on this, even my ex-wife does not charge this much lol

Really?  We know what he is charging on his business credit cards and it's actually pretty reasonable.  My friend and this guy are in similar fields, the only difference is that this guy has his own business.  

18mil a year?  I am impressed

Not impressed if it's all coming from business spend, self-employed included. It's apples to oranges to compare personal and business spend. I'm more impressed by someone who spends $100,000/year on personal travel than I am someone who spends $10 million on business travel with OPM. The former requires some degree of wealth (and/or really irresponsible spending) while the latter only requires a little luck to work in the right department for the right business at the right time.

As for the scale, coreysw12's listing was pretty close to my idea, though I'd scale it up a bit. 100k is nothing/you-just-got-a-SUB-whoop-dee-doo/you-just-redeemed-all-your-points, 500k points is average, 1 million is a decent amount, 2 million is pretty good, and 5 million is a vast sum. As per the paragraph above, my expectation is that most of these points come from personal spend. If it's from mostly business spend, triple these numbers.

Message 13 of 16
kudosalert
Frequent Contributor

The original post about the friend said $50,000 a DAY. That's pretty absurd but good for them. Must be crushing it and have very good relationship with vendors/suppliers who are willing to let the company pay with credit.

In my wallet:

In my desk:
Message 14 of 16
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

I'm not as big of a baller like @K-in-Boston or @Mahraja, but I can accumulate a some points over 6 months or so.

amex.jpg

Message 15 of 16
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

holy smokes, I think you win this round - not to get personal but did you marry my ex?  ha-ha

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.