Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct Loan 90 Day Late

tag
annette_b
Established Member

Direct Loan 90 Day Late

I recently moved and just started getting my mail situated and I came across a letter from Direct Loans. When I opened it I saw that I was behind on my payments. Upon realizing it I called Direct Loans immediately and put them into forbearance. I didn't realize that my loans were at the 90 day mark for being late and when I called to put them on forbearance I was one week outside of the 90 days. I got a notice today that my credit score dropped 70 points which is depressing because I am in the process of buying a house.

Since it was one week outside of the 90 days when I put them in forbearance and my first time ever being late what are my chances of getting it removed? How should I go about asking them to remove it? Any help would be appreciated. I am looking to buy a house in the next few months and the drop of 70 points really hurt my score.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Direct Loan 90 Day Late

You can contact Direct Loans with a goodwill letter and see if they will adjust the reporting.  I would not count on being able to get this late removed, people seem to have very different experiences with getting lates removed on student loans, and it can take a while or never happen at all.

In the meantime, why don't you set up auto-pay?  You can use that in your letter to establish that it won't happen again, and it will give you one less thing to keep track of as you get settled and start the home buying process.

Message 2 of 3
annette_b
Established Member

Re: Direct Loan 90 Day Late

I am calling Direct Loans today about the 90 day late. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should say?
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.