Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Student Loans

tag
JamesB95
Regular Contributor

Discover Student Loans

I am only applying for $1,000 for spring semester. But, I for some reason can't get Discover to let me without a co-signer, even with my credit history I've been building for 7 months. I was approved for a credit card by them, $500, and, I was approved for my 2nd credit card of $500 by Capital One. I also was approved $600 from Walmart card. And on top of that, I was approved for PayPal Credit $500.

My credit score isn't as hot but its over 600. I paid down my Discover card so it should be a big jump when it updates next (FICO too).

Should I just try another provider? Any tips? I do not know anyone who will co-sign. And, the ones who can have bad credit.

Experian FICO (via PSECU): 623 (as of Dec 6), next update on 01/15

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Student Loans

I have used Discover Student Loans and they tend to be picky (even with a co-signer). My father has excellent credit and was denied as a co-signer with him once. 

Message 2 of 9
JamesB95
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have used Discover Student Loans and they tend to be picky (even with a co-signer). My father has excellent credit and was denied as a co-signer with him once. 

Oh.. I don't understand why they are so pick. I mean, it's not like I can file bankruptcy and drop the student loans. Smiley Sad

They already did their damage to my CR in basically denying me. I might just do monthly payments on my tuition this semester.

Did you end up using someone else?

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I finally got approved with him as a co-signer after trying again about a month later. That loan was for 13,000. I haven't went with any other lenders, but apparently Citizens Bank and Wells Fargo have pretty good student loans that you could look into.

Message 4 of 9
JamesB95
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I finally got approved with him as a co-signer after trying again about a month later. That loan was for 13,000. I haven't went with any other lenders, but apparently Citizens Bank and Wells Fargo have pretty good student loans that you could look into.

I'll look into them to and try probably ONE more time with a loan. I really do not wan't to add up on too many HP's, it will look really bad.

Thanks. +1

Message 5 of 9
SCF
Valued Contributor

Many private student loan lenders seem to require a co-signer almost as a matter of course unless you have a very strong credit report, or existing income that can support the borrowing, both of which young "traditional" students do not normally have.  Even though you cannot discharge SLs in bankruptcy, private SLs are still subject to the statute of limitations, and a young borrower who defaults is more likely than others to not have income or assets to seize before that SOL expires.

If you only need $1000, I think setting up a payment plan with your college sounds like a viable option.  If you have a job, you would only need to pick up a few more hours a week to make up the difference over the course of the semester.  You should also be on the look-out for shorter-term assignments, like helping with a project or research study on campus.  A few of those gigs would pay off what you owe.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with the poster above about trying the payment plan with your school first only because they say to try to avoid taking out loans if you can prevent it. If that's not an option, there should be plenty of other options for your student loans out there I'm sure. 

Message 7 of 9
JamesB95
Regular Contributor

@SCF wrote:

Many private student loan lenders seem to require a co-signer almost as a matter of course unless you have a very strong credit report, or existing income that can support the borrowing, both of which young "traditional" students do not normally have.  Even though you cannot discharge SLs in bankruptcy, private SLs are still subject to the statute of limitations, and a young borrower who defaults is more likely than others to not have income or assets to seize before that SOL expires.

If you only need $1000, I think setting up a payment plan with your college sounds like a viable option.  If you have a job, you would only need to pick up a few more hours a week to make up the difference over the course of the semester.  You should also be on the look-out for shorter-term assignments, like helping with a project or research study on campus.  A few of those gigs would pay off what you owe.

You're right. I was looking for a small loan mainly just to finish paying my Discover card off. Smiley Tongue

I will manage fine, I was just looking for an easier way, applying for a single student loan. I already have some on my file from last semester (Gov loans, not private) on CK.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

As a current Discover student loan borrower, I would strongly advise against using them to finance anything. Their communication and customer service is deplorable. I am still waiting (since November) for a hard copy of my payment history, which seems to have been altered online. Federal loans, if needed, are the way to go. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.