Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LOANS to study abroad

tag
katalin
New Visitor

LOANS to study abroad

Hello!

Can anyone help me out. I am trying to find ressources to finance a study abroad for BA program abroad. Direct enrollement. WIll any US banks do a student loan for an abroad school (not on the FAFSA list)? Or would i need to get a perosnla loan instead??

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
JosephS112
Established Member

Re: LOANS to study abroad

I've seen most private and federal student loan eligibility requirements and all of them specifically state that you must be enrolled in an accredited college, technical school or university in the United States to qualify for a student loan. A vast majority of the time the first step in applying for student loans is to insert a State and then a college from a list provided. (Although I have seen some exceptions, specifically school's based in the US but hosted abroad. For example, American University of Paris or Rome). I believe you will have to look down the private loan route rather than at student loans if you want to complete an entire BA program through direct enrollment. As an alternative, you could look into doing a BA program in the States and study abroad for a year or so in your desired host country, and then student loans can be applied to foreign study through your home university. Or you could look into the student loan structure and requirements in the host country of your university abroad, although that might be tricky to navigate without citizenship or permanent residency to that country. 

Message 2 of 3
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: LOANS to study abroad

There are some foreign schools which accept federal student loans, you can find more information about the specific schools and process here: https://studentaid.ed.gov/prepare-for-college/choosing-schools/types/international#international-sch...

As far as private loans, I don't know if you will be able to find a bank that will lend money to cover expenses at a school overseas, and that may even vary from bank to bank.  I would reccomend looking into lenders like Wells Fargo and Sallie Mae, as well as any institutions that you currently have relationships with.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.