Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My process on Rehabilitation with my defaulted school loans

tag
phrza81
Valued Member

My process on Rehabilitation with my defaulted school loans

I'm brand spanking new to this forum and I have to say, its freaking amazing. It's comforting to know that I'm not alone on the issue of trying to fix/rebuild my credit. Well, here's my 2cents on the Rehabilitation Program for defaulted school loans. Any advise, tips or comments to help me on my situation is more then welcomed as well.

Back in June of 2008 I went into default with USA Funds, Inc. who was my creditor for my school loan. I entered to do a Rehab program with General Revenue Corporation (GRC) and completed it with no problem. 2 months later, my defaults with USA Funds were deleted off my credit record BUT my prior negative reports with Sallie Mae, before USA Funds took over, were still showing delinquencies. So I contacted Sallie Mae, their response was, "WE CANNOT DELETE ANY NEGATIVE/DELINQUENCIES PRIOR TO YOUR DEFAULT DUE TO SALLIE MAE'S POLICY BUT YOUR DEFAULT STATUS WERE DELETED." Which then got me REALLY confused and feeling cheated because before I agreed to do the Rehab, I was told by GRC, that my default AND my negative/delinquencies prior to default were GOING to be deleted and brought up to a clean, paid on time records.

So I called Sallie Mae and requested a letter that states my completion of the Rehab Program and as soon as the letter arrived the letter stated this:

Dear **********,

Sallie Mae, Inc. is a servicer of student loans for national and state guarantee agencies.  We are pleased to inform you that you have successfully completed your rehabilitation program as of 06/24/2010. Your education loan(s) listed below was purchased by the lender and is no longer in default.

The guarantor, United Student Aid Funds, Inc., will notify the national credit bureaus to delete the defaulted status. As a result of your rehabilitation, the lender/servicer that maintained the loan(s) prior to this default will be notified. It will be their responsibility to correct any adverse credit reporting that they may have made.

The letter quotes, "The guarantor, United Student Aid Funds, Inc., will notify the national credit bureaus to delete the defaulted status." which USA FUNDS, Inc, held their side of the bargain and deleted them asap! BUT this portion of the letter, quotes, "As a result of your rehabilitation, the lender/servicer that maintained the loan(s) prior to this default will be notified. It will be their responsibility to correct any adverse credit reporting that they may have made." Now, is it not Sallie Mae's responsibility to fix my past adverse (negative/delinquencies) reporting as the letter from USA Funds, Inc., Quotes? Sallie Mae were my original school loan creditor before transferring over to USA Funds, Inc. 

So I did some research and found this:

"Because the statute specifically refers to a stream of 12 payments as determined by the institution, the institution must work with the borrower to determine a payment amount that is appropriate. The statute does not require a signed rehabilitation agreement. In accordance with the 1998 Amendments, once the loan is rehabilitated (after the 12th payment has been made), the institution or its servicer must request that any credit bureau to which the defaulted loan was reported remove the default from the borrower's credit history.  The borrower is brought current and is no longer considered to be delinquent or in default. Removing the default is consistent with the requirements of the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), which requires that an institution correct and update the information it furnishes to a credit reporting agency."

- The Higher Education Act

Section 674.39 Loan Rehabilitation

For full article of the law that states this claim, Google the above source, as I lost the link to the site. Sorry Smiley Sad

So, in your guys opinion, does it seem like Sallie Mae is obligated to make the changes to my credit report? and I have the upper hand? If so, how should I approach this to where they can't argue back and fix the issues.

I hope what I provided is of some help to others in a similar situation and if I find out anything else, ill be sure to post it up here for everyone.

Any advise, legal advise, tips or comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Re: My process on Rehabilitation with my defaulted school loans

Is there a specific department listed on the letter that you received from SM?  Or even better yet a number?  I would call in and let them know that you received their letter and ask them if they have had the opportunity to send your accounts to the CRAs to have the baddies removed.  If they haven't I would ask that they go ahead and do that as you have completed the rehabilitation program.

I have a feeling that since they sent you that letter, they probably also sent info to the CRAs to have it deleted.  Just remember, it's possible for it to take 30 days to come off your report based on SMs timing of when they sent the info.  If they say they sent the info to the CRAs and you don't see it off within a reasonable amount of time, then dispute it with the CRAs along with a copy of the letter.  Sallie Mae should not be able to validate the debt and it should be removed.

But to be clear, USA Funds was the guarantor?  Or did you consolidate from Sallie Mae to USA Funds?

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 2 of 7
phrza81
Valued Member

to be honest, I dont know when it went from Sallie Mae to USA Funds. I only found out about USA Funds because of default status. Right now, after the rehab status, Sallie Mae took back my loans after i got out of default and i consolidated to Direct Loans, who is now my current school loans creditor.

Message 3 of 7
germaine47
Frequent Contributor

I am in the same situation where  I entered into a loan rehabilitation program with KHEA in which I made 9 consecutive on time payments and the loan was picked up by NELNET.  Here is the catch under Section 674.39 Loan Rehabilitation is that the original lender suppose to report to the CRA in good standing.  My original lender is ED South which is still reporting 8 negatives.  Did you have any success with getting the negative trade lines removed.

Fico September 2012; TU 681, EX 674, EQ 652
Fako October 2012: TU 706, EX 641,
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was wondering if any of you decided to dispute the negative reports on your CR. 

After a long drawn out rehab process, I finally received the same letter from Sallie Mae indicating that I have successfully completed the rehab program.  As I'm in the process of applying for home loans, I'd like to get all negatives off my credit report as soon as possible.  So I'm interested if any of you have info on how to fix this quickly.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 7
germaine47
Frequent Contributor

Each individual is different, however I have read on this blog where some of the individuals showed proof of there student loans being in good standing with previous derogatory and have still received their home approval. I am seeking my approval in march of 2013 and the only derogatory will be the student loans.  I will keep you posted.

Good Luck

Message 6 of 7
germaine47
Frequent Contributor

I did dispute  the OC with no succes as welll as calling them to see if the rehabilitation includes them as well.  Disappointing I know but once my scores update I will post the results of PFD an other disputes.

Germaine47

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.