Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSLF SUCCESS FINALLY

tag
12njoy
Super Contributor

PSLF SUCCESS FINALLY

After 10.5 gruelling years, I have finally achieved loan forgiveness.  When i started counting back in March 2010, I wondered if PSLF would be around at the conclusion of ten years.  Low and behold, it is alive and well.  I read many of the horror stories of the high percentage of denials.  I think when they first started taking applications for loan forgiveness in 2018 they had a dismal rate of something like 2% success rate.  To my understanding, this hasn't improved much since then.  They may be anywhere up to 5-10% now.  I was able to get $165,000 discharged.  I've paid approximately $6,400 towards my student loans over ten years.  I stored a ton of income in pretax shelters (401k, FSA, SPA).  This was able to signficantly reduce my adjusted income which certainly contributed to the low payment tally of $6,400.  This is perfectly legal so I don't believe that I'm violating in myFICO terms.  I immediately filed disputes with all three CRA's when I received my loan discharge letter.  My scores jumped 29-42 points across the three CRA's.  This was a major boom for my credit profile.  Not just in the scores, but my installment loan history.  Original student loan balance was $120,000 with a balance of $165,000.  Definitely not good for proportion to loan balances is too high.  I hope this gives anyone hope that's marching toward that ten year mark.  PSLF.jpg

(Formerly known as: Credit is my hobby (1.6M)/TCL objective)
___________ 12Njoy
FICO - EX 810; EQ 797; TU 804 I'm climbing back to 800+
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: PSLF SUCCESS FINALLY

Congratulations on your success! Thank you for sharing the information.
Message 2 of 12
12njoy
Super Contributor

@AllZero wrote:
Congratulations on your success! Thank you for sharing the information.

Thank you and you're welcome.

___________ 12Njoy
Message 3 of 12
ccquest
Established Contributor

Wow, that's awesome! I started February 2017 so I've still got about 6 years left on my journey to PSLF.

Curious what SPA means in there though? I've read about some of the tax shelter things for lowering AGI, but I don't really know how I can make that work for me while also maintaining what I need for saving for a house and my private loan payments.
as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 4 of 12
12njoy
Super Contributor

@ccquest wrote:
Wow, that's awesome! I started February 2017 so I've still got about 6 years left on my journey to PSLF.

Curious what SPA means in there though? I've read about some of the tax shelter things for lowering AGI, but I don't really know how I can make that work for me while also maintaining what I need for saving for a house and my private loan payments.

Thank you.  It's a flexible spending account.

___________ 12Njoy
Message 5 of 12
calyx
Super Contributor

Huge congrats on your PSLF success and WHAT a weight lifted off of your financial shoulders.   Awesome!

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 6 of 12
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

DW is halfway there.

Thanks for info!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 7 of 12
12njoy
Super Contributor

@calyx wrote:

Huge congrats on your PSLF success and WHAT a weight lifted off of your financial shoulders.   Awesome!

Thank you and yes it is.

___________ 12Njoy
Message 8 of 12
12njoy
Super Contributor

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

DW is halfway there.

Thanks for info!

Thank you and good luck to DW.

___________ 12Njoy
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! 
This post gives me hope that my loans will be forgiven in 6 years. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.