Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay in full or make payments?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay in full or make payments?

I have 4 outstanding student loans from 2010 totally about 8500. However it shows as 8 accounts on my profiles. 4 with a zero balance that has been transferred or sold and 4 with the actual balances. They are old and are all delinquent. I want to pay them since they are hurting me but should I negotiate a payment plan or just pay them in full then dispute it once it’s paid to get it removed from my file? Thanks in advance for any tips.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
beutiful5678
Frequent Contributor

Re: Pay in full or make payments?

Are these federal or private student loans?

Simply disputing something is unlikely to get it removed from your profile unless the account itself is not yours. This is especially true if they are federal student loans.

If you choose to do student loan rehab the default status will be removed (lates will remain) and new tradelines will be created (usually backdated to the date they were originally opened, I think).

EX 8: Aug 2021 - 692 | EQ 8: Aug 2021 - 714 | TU 8: Aug 2021 - 673
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Pay in full or make payments?

If you are delinquent on a federal student loan and it has reached the default status (i.e., 270+ days late), you would likely want to do a rehab on the loan to remove the prior showing of default.

If the student loan is private, then it is subject to SOL.

Paying will likely set a new SOL, so be careful that you can make the agreed payments and dont "reset" the SOL.

Is it a federal student loan, has it reached default, and if private, what is its SOL status?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.