Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan Payment Relief extension thru December

tag
ccquest
Established Contributor

Student Loan Payment Relief extension thru December

Trump signed another executive order today with an extension on the student loan payment relief thru December 31, 2020.

Sec. 2. Extension of Student Loan Payment Relief. (a) In light of the national emergency declared on March 13, 2020, the Secretary of Education shall take action pursuant to applicable law to effectuate appropriate waivers of and modifications to the requirements and conditions of economic hardship deferments described in section 455(f)(2)(D) of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, 20 U.S.C. 1087e(f)(2)(D), and provide such deferments to borrowers as necessary to continue the temporary cessation of payments and the waiver of all interest on student loans held by the Department of Education until December 31, 2020.

Unfortunately, a lot of details are missing such as whether or not payments will still count towards PSLF (important for me!), but still good news for many people.

as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: Student Loan Payment Relief extension thru December

@ccquest wrote:

Trump signed another executive order today with an extension on the student loan payment relief thru December 31, 2020.

Sec. 2. Extension of Student Loan Payment Relief. (a) In light of the national emergency declared on March 13, 2020, the Secretary of Education shall take action pursuant to applicable law to effectuate appropriate waivers of and modifications to the requirements and conditions of economic hardship deferments described in section 455(f)(2)(D) of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, 20 U.S.C. 1087e(f)(2)(D), and provide such deferments to borrowers as necessary to continue the temporary cessation of payments and the waiver of all interest on student loans held by the Department of Education until December 31, 2020.

Unfortunately, a lot of details are missing such as whether or not payments will still count towards PSLF (important for me!), but still good news for many people.

This is really a good news for many of the students with student loans. Hope my loans will defer till December 31,2020. It will give me time to catch up on other COs and hopefully clean things up and get ready for paying off the student loans.

Message 2 of 25
ccquest
Established Contributor

That's about the only part guaranteed for federal loans and certainly a good move with what's going on. Just wish the other finer details were included, but I suppose that's to come in the following weeks similar to his original EO.
as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 3 of 25
jasonbourne84
Frequent Contributor

@ccquest wrote:
That's about the only part guaranteed for federal loans and certainly a good move with what's going on. Just wish the other finer details were included, but I suppose that's to come in the following weeks similar to his original EO.

Hard to know for sure. The original order was pursuant to legislative action, not executive order. Hopefully it all sticks though. 

Message 4 of 25
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@jasonbourne84 wrote:

@ccquest wrote:

Hard to know for sure. The original order was pursuant to legislative action, not executive order. Hopefully it all sticks though. 

When do you think we might know for sure ? I would love to get interest waived till 12/31/2020. That is savings of about $2000 just interest alone for 4 months.

Message 5 of 25
ccquest
Established Contributor

Hopefully it forces Congress to settle on something in their negotiations and get things finished up, but probably no real solid timeline for that either.

The thing that also isn't clear is just who this applies to. Like part of it says it's for those facing hardships so it might not be universal this time. Unless it is more interpreted by DOE to be continuing the CARES provisions instead of the original order he had.
as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 6 of 25
Cjaysmom
Regular Contributor

I received a letter (via email) from Navient this morning informing me that my autopay will resume after September 30, 2020. What Trump signed was an order suggesting that the Student loan deferrment be continued to at least December 31. The House of Representatives wanted to extend it for one more year. The Senate, who knows. But it doesn't matter. The Senate has recessed until September.

Message 7 of 25
ccquest
Established Contributor

It's the only one that he can actually do/postpone though. The others are outside of his jurisdiction alone, Education is not.

As for the recess, hopefully some people are still working behind doors throughout it but who knows.
as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 8 of 25
Cjaysmom
Regular Contributor

@ccquest wrote:
It's the only one that he can actually do/postpone though. The others are outside of his jurisdiction alone, Education is not.

As for the recess, hopefully some people are still working behind doors throughout it but who knows.

I hope there are people working behind closed doors too. There are far too many people that going to impacted negatively if something isn't done soon.

Message 9 of 25
dryanaz80
Valued Member

My federal loans are with Fedloan Servicing and they have posting confirming that payments will be in forbearance with payments not due until 1/2021, as well as interest rates remaining at zero. 

It does not appear that the missed payments will count toward PSLF or overall forgiveness if on IDR. 

Other biggest concern is making sure that this doesn't reset my number of payments or that any interest will capitalize....my due date still reflects 9/30, but $0.00.

Hope to get more info soon as the payroll tax is supposed to start Sept 1 and AZ has restarted its unemployment benefits...these are all from most recent EOs and memorandums.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.