cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TPD discharge of SL - how should it report?

tag
rosco75
Regular Contributor

TPD discharge of SL - how should it report?

I recieved my TPD discharge months ago, and my balances on all my loands show $0. But under pay status it says transfered and remarks state: "ACCT CLOSED DUE TO TRANSFER; TRANSFERRED TO ANOTHER OFFICE"

Another odd thing that I dont understand about my student loans is that they list me having payments from 2016 and 2017 when I didnt make any payments at all during those years. The last time I made a payment to a student loan was back in 2010. Is this re aging? So confusing. 

Shouldnt the account be listed as "CLOSED"?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: TPD discharge of SL - how should it report?

@rosco75 wrote:

I recieved my TPD discharge months ago, and my balances on all my loands show $0. But under pay status it says transfered and remarks state: "ACCT CLOSED DUE TO TRANSFER; TRANSFERRED TO ANOTHER OFFICE"

Another odd thing that I dont understand about my student loans is that they list me having payments from 2016 and 2017 when I didnt make any payments at all during those years. The last time I made a payment to a student loan was back in 2010. Is this re aging? So confusing. 

Were the loans in good standing when closed?

Were the loans in any kind of forbearance, deferment or income based repayment during 2016 and 2017?

Message 2 of 6
rosco75
Regular Contributor

@dragontears wrote:

@rosco75 wrote:

Were the loans in good standing when closed?

Were the loans in any kind of forbearance, deferment or income based repayment during 2016 and 2017?

At the time of my TPD there were lates and not in good standing I believe. As for the forbearance and deferment....I honestly cannot recall. I suppose it is possible. Would those be listed as payments?

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

How soon after receiving your TPD did your reports update?  I received mine 11/22/2021 and am still waiting.  I've gotten letters from both servicers that they have already discharged my loans.  Any insights you have would be greatly appreciated.

Message 4 of 6

got the letter of final appproval TPD Dec 2021 from Dept Ed Nelnet; Finalled notice letter dated March 2022.

I pulled my three reports May 18 2022 showing  $0 paid closed; never late updated feb 2022-

TPD of nearly $200k (originally eligible in 2016 under Obama, but I never applied for it. Biden Admin got authorization to grant all SSA the TPD without ever requesting it. )

There is no tax 1099 red tape either but going through the 3-year monitoring is the confusing part, since they don't spell out whether earnings are gross or AGI from self-employment. VA TPDs get a waiver on the monitoring period.

EDIT: Federal Register publication Nov. 1 2022 they have eliminated the post-TPD three year monitoring period. Only borrowers with TPD who take out new loans after TPD will havetheir loans reinstated

(https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2022/11/01/2022-23447/institutional-eligibility-under-the-...)

my score increased by 41 points, between March and April but this may be partly owing to my WF car lease being paid off

got approved for two AMX cards this am even with two citi and one Chase at 99%: I called AMX CS to ask about getting the second card and he said my credit ws fine if I got approved for the first card and that he has seen 800 FICO applicants get denied. He said to call in three month to request CLI

Message 5 of 6

the payments were likely payments by Dept of Ed who pays subsidized undergrad loans up to 25k aggregate, i think that's the ug Stafford ceiling.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.