Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Targeting Student Loans Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Targeting Student Loans Question

I decided to target some of my student loan payments. I have about $100K of them with Fedloan Serving and the majority of them are in one loan for about $70K which also has the highest interest rate. I made a $500 payment for just that loan. When I checked it, it looks like the $500 went entirely to interest as the principal balance on this loan was exactly the same. 

I know when I make my general payments that go towards all my loans some of the principals are impacted. Right now I have about $1,200 in outstanding interest. Do I have to pay this down entirely before I can target that loan specifically and reduce the principal balance on that?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
calyx
Super Contributor

Re: Targeting Student Loans Question

@Anonymous wrote:

I decided to target some of my student loan payments. I have about $100K of them with Fedloan Serving and the majority of them are in one loan for about $70K which also has the highest interest rate. I made a $500 payment for just that loan. When I checked it, it looks like the $500 went entirely to interest as the principal balance on this loan was exactly the same. 

I know when I make my general payments that go towards all my loans some of the principals are impacted. Right now I have about $1,200 in outstanding interest. Do I have to pay this down entirely before I can target that loan specifically and reduce the principal balance on that?

Yes, you generally don't get to put payments towards principle if there is any interest outstanding.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.