Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

removing inquiry for cancelled loan

tag
in0wh3r3ul1v3
New Contributor

removing inquiry for cancelled loan

i applied for a sallie mae private loan for the upcoming semester, but was declined/asked to reapply with a cosigner. i got a cosigner, but salliemae had him on the phone for an hour asking him ridiculous personal questions. long story short, i cancelled the loan before the funds were disbursed and put my tuition on my credit card.

i know they pulled my TU score, and i'm assuming it was a hard inquiry... so i'm wondering, would they remove the inquiry since i cancelled the loan?

Macy's Red Star - $5100 (1/2010)
AMEX Everyday - $9000 (1/2011 Backdated)
AMEX Green Corporate - NPSL
Chase Amazon Prime - $8900 (11/2011)
Lowe's/SYNCB - $6500 (7/2014)
J. Crew/CB - $3500 (2/2015)
Target REDcard - $500 (11/2015)
Citi AAdvantage - $4000 (6/2016)
Chase United MileagePlus - $5000 (2/2017)
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: removing inquiry for cancelled loan

If I understand things correctly, you applied for a loan and were initially denied.  The loan application resulted in an inquiry.  Just as it is with other credit products - credit cards, auto loans, mortgages, for example - being denied a loan isn't grounds for removal of the inquiry.

Are you asking about a second inquiry that might have occurred when you re-applied with a cosigner?  If you backed out of the second loan application before actually completing it, then maybe you can make a case regarding a second inquiry.  But the first inquiry was conducted with permissible purpose as part of a loan application process that ran its course.  Unfortunately, it ended with a denial.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.