Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

115 point DECREASE

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

115 point DECREASE

I woke up this morning to a 115 point decrease on TU according to CK. I know CK isn't accurate but i thought I could at least see changes. My situation is...:I'm trying to clean up my credit for a VA loan. I had 3 collections. 3 credit cards. No lates in 2 years. Financed a car a a small personal loan. The changes this morning were I paid off the largest most recent collection (actually paid them all but this one reported today) and had a balance decrease on the car loan and personal loan. And had a drop of 115. The Equifax score reported an increase in 15 points. I feel like I may puke because of the 115 point drop. I thought removing a collection was a good thing!!!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: 115 point DECREASE

It's not that Vantage (CK) scores aren't accurate; it's a completely separate scoring model that behaves and responds (wildly) to changes differently th an FICO.  Very few lenders (we only know of one, I believe - Synchrony) use Vantage to make credit decisions, the vast majority use some version of FICO. 

While rebuilding, you should be monitoring your FICO scores - save yourself from the stress of Vantage.   You can sign up for Experians $1 trial to get all 3 FICO scores so you know where you actually stand -  just be sure to cancel before the trial ends if you don't want the monthly service.

Paying a collection is a good thing.  Sometimes though, if 5he collection hasn't updated in a while and suddenly updates with a change (your pay off)  it can affect scores negatively - temporarily - because it's a new update to a negative tradeline.  Scores rebound quickly from this because there will be no future updates to the account and the tradeline will be able to age. 

Have you tried to have the collection completely removed?

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 9
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Because this is a FICO centered forum, there aren't enough datapoints or studies to understand how VantageScores will react to certain actions. What we do know, is that they have certain distinctions such as not factoring closed accounts into AAoA and that they rely heavily on trended data.

While paying off a collection is a good thing, VantageScore's algorithm may say, "if person is aa years old, with $bbbb in collections over cc number of collections, and has carried those collections for dd years, paying off $eee and closing f number of collections results in a 95% chance they will apply for 5 new accounts within 180 days, reduce score by 115 points." The algorithm might also say, "if person has not applied for new credit in 30 days since reducing collections by $eee and f number of accounts, the chance of applying for 5 new accounts in 180 days is reduced by 60%, add 60 points."

People think that VantageScore is random, but it's not, it's predicting your future actions based on what you're doing now and what you've done in the past as well as the actions of others with similar profiles. FICO does the same thing, but isn't as volatile because it isn't as reliant on years of trended data. I suspect when the new FICO comes out we may see an increase in volatility due to the heavier integration of trended data similar to what VantageScore uses.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks y'all. I signed up for the FICO monthly updates and it showed a TU increase of 15 points! I think I'll just delete the CK app now. I was almost in tears. 

The paid off collection was removed. I'm assuming the others will be soon as I paid them off shortly after. I also paid 2 CC balances off to $20. That's literally all that's on my credit. 

Thanks for such quick responses!

Message 4 of 9
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Dont delete the app. Credit karma is great for monitoring your reports, as long as you're not relying on the score to make any credit decisions. 

Message 5 of 9
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

How do y'all feel about this analogy:

Watching CK/VS in order to gauge your FICOs is like trying to estimate your grade in math from your grade in gym.

Fair enough? Or good thing SATs were canceled, because you need to practice your metaphors?

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok I'll keep it but try to remember those scores aren't what most lenders see. Thank you! 

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Makes sense to me!

Message 8 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Because this is a FICO centered forum, there aren't enough datapoints or studies to understand how VantageScores will react to certain actions. What we do know, is that they have certain distinctions such as not factoring closed accounts into AAoA and that they rely heavily on trended data.

The closed acconts isn't proven I didn't think, that's just Credit Karma's awkward interface not reference of anything.

VS 3 which we're talking about here (Credit Karma) doesn't use trended data, VS4 does according to marketing literature but I haven't seen anywhere to get it.

It's a messy subject.

        
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.