Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

25 Point Drop in FICO 8 TU Score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 25 Point Drop in FICO 8 TU Score

Is there a way to distinguish between HPs and SPs? I assume that the "2 years" on the report comment and "Address Identification" would indicate the HP but is there any clearer way?

If none of the other inquiries listed were HPs then it doesn't seem like any sort of fraud took place which is a big relief. Last night as I was paying my Amex bill I clicked their credit score link as I normally do, when I saw that the score dropped 25 points from last month I was worried that something bad happened. I guess I still don't know for sure that I'm in the clear since the score did drop 25 points for some reason. Maybe the credit report isn't fully updated yet.

Message 11 of 18
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Is there a way to distinguish between HPs and SPs? I assume that the "2 years" on the report comment and "Address Identification" would indicate the HP but is there any clearer way?

If none of the other inquiries listed were HPs then it doesn't seem like any sort of fraud took place which is a big relief. Last night as I was paying my Amex bill I clicked their credit score link as I normally do, when I saw that the score dropped 25 points from last month I was worried that something bad happened. I guess I still don't know for sure that I'm in the clear since the score did drop 25 points for some reason. Maybe the credit report isn't fully updated yet.

I can't get my free Annual Credit Report online, I always get it printed by mail. My guess is that it should be the same but I don't know.

You should see:

Records of request for your credit history

- Inquiries shared with others (HP)

- Inquiries shared only with you (SP)

Also there is a paragraph on my EX report below the SP (in bold): These inquiries DO NOT affect your credit score and are not seen by anyone but you (except insurance companies may be able to see other insurance company inquiries).

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting. I used the link via Amex for the credit report. It took me to I believe "annualcreditreport.com" where I was able to enter some personal information, which then took me to the Experian site where I had to enter more personal information, I was then given what was apparently a digital version of my Experian credit report.

I didn't see anything specifically that mentioned HPs or SPs. It just had a list of "Credit inquiries" that went back many years, although not to the beginning of my credit history for some reason. The only way that I could think of to differentiate HPs and SPs was the comment left on an inquiry about it being on the report for 2 years. That was the only one that mentioned my "Address Identification Number" too. That was for my 6 month old credit card that I mentioned earlier, which should be the only HP on my credit report I think.

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Inquiries stay for two years, then are deleted.

On your report, toward the end under Credit Inquiries, it will say "Inquiries Shared With Others" and have a list, those are hard pulls. It will say the date it happened, when it will be removed. Then it will say "Inquiries Shared With Only You" and those are soft pulls. There's less info there, and can be from all kinds of places you've never heard of.

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah looking at it again it does indeed say "Inquiries Shared With Others" and "Inquiries Shared With Only You." There's only one listed as being "Shared With Others" and that is for the 6 month old credit card that I mentioned earlier in the thread.

So it doesn't look like there's anything notable on my credit report then. I wonder why my Experian score dropped so dramatically.

Message 15 of 18
DollyLama
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ah looking at it again it does indeed say "Inquiries Shared With Others" and "Inquiries Shared With Only You." There's only one listed as being "Shared With Others" and that is for the 6 month old credit card that I mentioned earlier in the thread.

So it doesn't look like there's anything notable on my credit report then. I wonder why my Experian score dropped so dramatically.

Since your utilization has stayed relatively the same, you have excluded new credit or massive hard pulls, no new collections reporting or new lates added on your report, did your Average Age of Account decrease substantially? Have older accounts paid off around 10 years ago that you can recall that would have aged off? With a period of years in between before obtaining credit?

Example, mine will get hit next year as a paid account will age off from 12 yrs (opening and 10 yrs paid off), to the next newest oldest account being about 5 years old. 

Since you have this report with last reported balances, can you add them up against your lines of credit to be sure it did not in fact hit a higher percentage that crossed a threshold for this month. The 8.99% optimal max, then I think the next is 29%, 49% thresholds. 

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DollyLama wrote:

Since your utilization has stayed relatively the same, you have excluded new credit or massive hard pulls, no new collections reporting or new lates added on your report, did your Average Age of Account decrease substantially? Have older accounts paid off around 10 years ago that you can recall that would have aged off? With a period of years in between before obtaining credit?

Example, mine will get hit next year as a paid account will age off from 12 yrs (opening and 10 yrs paid off), to the next newest oldest account being about 5 years old. 

Since you have this report with last reported balances, can you add them up against your lines of credit to be sure it did not in fact hit a higher percentage that crossed a threshold for this month. The 8.99% optimal max, then I think the next is 29%, 49% thresholds. 

Over the past 6 months my utilization has been close to the same. It has been around 20-10% of the card's credit limit since I received it. This past month I made a payment of $500 on it so the utilization would be on the low side of that right now. In terms of my overall available credit the total usage is very small, only a few percentage points. Nowhere near the 8.99%.

I didn't have any loans or anything that would have dropped off that I can think of. Everything that I've had is listed on the report from what I can tell.

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey everyone,

This month the score bounced back to where it was, regaining the 25 points that were lost for whatever reason last month. I still have no idea why the random drop occurred.

Just an update in case this happens to anyone else. Look into it for sure and if you can't find any negative changes then it'll likely bounce back for you like it did for me.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.