Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 Point ding for.. doesn't make sense.

tag
ficonightmare
Frequent Contributor

4 Point ding for.. doesn't make sense.

Just got my free TU report.

When my Util was at 13% and the BOA account hit my report, my score jumped to 770. Only thing hurting my score was "Hight Credit Usage".

Today, my Util is at 3% and my score went down to 766.  Only thing hurting my score is "High Credit Usage".

AAoA is the same on both reports, 7 years.

When it was 770, one of the factor that was helping my score was "No colelctions on record".

on the 766 report, the "no collections on record" is no longer there. Even though I don't have any collections. And if anything, there are less cards reporting a balance.

So I'm a little confused. I lost one positive for no reason. Myy Util dropped to 3% but I still have the same negative factor. And my score drops 4 points for no apparent reason. What gives?

Starting Score: 600s
Current Score: EQ 08 798 on 5/28/14, TU 792 on 5/27/4 via Barclay, EX 798 on 5/28/14
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 4 Point ding for.. doesn't make sense.

I don't have a helpful answer. But just wanted to say that I have learnt that the Factors feedback even from myFICO itself is not reliable. I've also experienced anomolous feedback like yours. My guess is that because of the way FICO estimates risk probabiliies based on a number of buckets, it is not easy (i.e., computationally efficient to) to search for all possible ways your score could have been better, so they cut some corners there and give you a heuristic guess.

Message 2 of 6
ficonightmare
Frequent Contributor

It's ridiculous. I just did the score simulator on the 770 report. It said if I paid down balances my score would be in the 810-850 range. Well, i paid them down to 3% and my score dropped.

When you have collections, lates, high util, you know what you need to do.  But this? Can't even begin to guess what to fix.

At least the lower Util didn't decrease my score on EQ Smiley Surprised

Avenka-  I give up.. Scores are good enough for cards/loans now. I'm done playing with FICO. This gave me a headache.

Current Score: EQ 08 798 on 5/28/14, TU 792 on 5/27/4 via Barclay, EX 798 on 5/28/14

Message 3 of 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@ficonightmare wrote:

It's ridiculous. I just did the score simulator on the 770 report. It said if I paid down balances my score would be in the 810-850 range. Well, i paid them down to 3% and my score dropped.

When you have collections, lates, high util, you know what you need to do.  But this? Can't even begin to guess what to fix.

At least the lower Util didn't decrease my score on EQ Smiley Surprised

Avenka-  I give up.. Scores are good enough for cards/loans now. I'm done playing with FICO. This gave me a headache.

There's nothing to fix IMO. Your scores are fine. Just keep doing what you're doing.

It's normal for scores to fluctuate. It's not worth worrying about.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 6
IOBA
Senior Contributor

I agree - don't spend too  much thought on it.  Focus on what you know is good for credit.

I had it "comment" that I had a recent late payment.  But man, go over my credit report, and please, find it for me!  I can't find it cuz it doesn't exist.   My FICO score is high though....so I don't worry about it.   I figure it was a fluke of a comment.  And no one I have used for credit has ever mentioned a "late" payment.

Message 5 of 6
ficonightmare
Frequent Contributor

Marine and IOBIA- You're both right, nothing to really fix.

I just can't get my mind around the scoring system. I know I'll never get it, but in the past my scores have made sense. I understood what to do. Right now I'm just baffled. What happened went against everything I've learned from this site. Pay down balances, check. Don't have too many cards reporting, check.

And yet., I lost points.

Go figure.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.