Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

40 point variance between FICO scores

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

40 point variance between FICO scores

I pulled all three reports and scores today.  Two scores are identical and TransUnion is 40 points lower!  I looked at information in detail between TransUnion and Equifax.  There is only a $20 difference in open balances of revolving credt. Mortgages balances are same.  There is not a derogatory account on either report.  What gives?  Are the FICO algorithms that different between the two companies?

The only other difference I see is in the FICO simulator section of the reports.  The TransUnion report lists a revolving credit card balance that is double the Equifax report?  This doesn't match the info on the Accounts in the TransUnion credit report.  Where is additional coming from?  Am I missing something?

Really trying to figure this out, please help.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 40 point variance between FICO scores

Hey,
I had a similar situation, except my Equifax score was 50-60 points lower. The difference on mine was that it showed a $41 balance on a closet credit card. I wrote a dispute and Equifax raised my score by 33 points .. they are now pretty close, but still off a little.

Dave.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,
   I noticed a similar variance (ie, my TransUnion score was much lower than my Experian score).  Did you ever receive any additional insight into why?
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's very common for the 3 CRA's to have differing scores. Although their models are the same, the weight they place to each scoring category probably differ, and that's what accounts for the score disparity. Nothing to get upset about, imo, unless the scoring range is like 100 or so points. But I still consider myself a newbie here. Perhaps others could shed additional light on the subject.
Message 4 of 5
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.