Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

41 Point Increase - Experian

tag
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: 41 Point Increase - Experian

If the student loans are federal the GW letters won't work because they are required by law (Higher Education Act) to report delinquencies.
Message 21 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rmduhon wrote:
If the student loans are federal the GW letters won't work because they are required by law (Higher Education Act) to report delinquencies.

Good to know above!  Does this include just the removal of late payments or does it also include removal of the entire trade line in the event that it's PIF?

Message 22 of 28
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

As to that, I can't say.
Message 23 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@rmduhon wrote:

Good to know above!  Does this include just the removal of late payments or does it also include removal of the entire trade line in the event that it's PIF?

BBS, this is what I was referring to, but couldn't explain it well. My defaulted student loan, which is now paid, is still on my credit report, and from what I understand, it will remain on there for the 10 year reporting time. The last hard copies of my reports I received say that the account will move to a positive status in 2021. If I knew then what I know now...

Message 24 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@rmduhon wrote:

BBS, this is what I was referring to, but couldn't explain it well. My defaulted student loan, which is now paid, is still on my credit report, and from what I understand, it will remain on there for the 10 year reporting time. The last hard copies of my reports I received say that the account will move to a positive status in 2021. If I knew then what I know now...

That is the truth but on the other side maybe it shouldn't hurt someone as much as it does.  A lot of people learn from thier mistakes but it haunts them for 10 years now.

Though does it hurt less over the years in regards to the scoring model?

Message 25 of 28
ejm201
Valued Member

Hi Rookie,

I saw a steady increase in your mortgage in two months. What did you do specifically? I understand a lot of peope saying to bring CCs down to $0 and leave one under 9% but I don't have funds like that. I only got a spare $400-600 to work with evey month. I live in MD and findning a home under $300k in a decent nieghborhood is HARD to come by, so "I would wait" until probably November, but inventory and timing is a luxury I don't have here. Waiting too long may very well mean not being able to buy a home for years. Rent is HIGH here (hard t save for a DP when rent is $2000+/ don't qualify for DPA b/c I apparently make too much in MD which ridiculous b/c almost all the "Safe" counties are expensive here) and if its cheap, then its probably in a high crime nieghborhood. Just the way it is.

So, I need at least a 20-30 point jump. The lowest I can bring UTI without breaking the bank relistically is 30% for remainding card and this won't be until 2nd week of August. Which means I cduld be waiting until end of September to see CRA reflect the 30%. Do you think that could give me at least 10-15 point boost?

Thanks!

Message 26 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ejm201 wrote:

Hi Rookie,

I saw a steady increase in your mortgage in two months. What did you do specifically? I understand a lot of peope saying to bring CCs down to $0 and leave one under 9% but I don't have funds like that. I only got a spare $400-600 to work with evey month. I live in MD and findning a home under $300k in a decent nieghborhood is HARD to come by, so "I would wait" until probably November, but inventory and timing is a luxury I don't have here. Waiting too long may very well mean not being able to buy a home for years. Rent is HIGH here (hard t save for a DP when rent is $2000+/ don't qualify for DPA b/c I apparently make too much in MD which ridiculous b/c almost all the "Safe" counties are expensive here) and if its cheap, then its probably in a high crime nieghborhood. Just the way it is.

So, I need at least a 20-30 point jump. The lowest I can bring UTI without breaking the bank relistically is 30% for remainding card and this won't be until 2nd week of August. Which means I cduld be waiting until end of September to see CRA reflect the 30%. Do you think that could give me at least 10-15 point boost?

Thanks!

The DMV is out of control with housing prices.

You could always move further west into Virginia you can get a 5500 sq/ft house for 450K.

Message 27 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ejm201 wrote:

Hi Rookie,

Thanks!

I definitely feel your pain, as we're in the same area so no need to explain the housing market to me. It's one word = INSANE!! If you're not in a household with two incomes I honestly don't know how people are making it. We're also in the predicament where we don't qualify for any of the down payment assistance programs. Funny how they classify us as "high income" when you can easily live paycheck to paycheck here lol. 

To answer your question about my mortgage scores, I created a thread here a couple of months ago titled "What kind of score increase will I get?". You can search the forums here. Honestly, it's the experts in these forums that have helped me. I also had, and still have, a lot of negatives on my credit such as collections, charge-offs, and defaulted student loans. 

What is your current credit card utilization? Unfortunately, revolving debt is weighed HEAVILY in calculating mortgage scores. People suggest this because it's the quickest way to get a boost in your mortgage scores. On top of paying down credit card debt to increase your scores, your lender may also require you to pay down the debt as it will go towards your DTI calculations. 

If I were you, create your own thread on these boards and list as much info as you're willing to share that's on your credit. Folks on here such as BrutalBodyShots and CreditGuyInDixie have helped me a lot. 

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.