Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AZEO vs Small balance question

tag
FishingGuy
Frequent Contributor

AZEO vs Small balance question

I usually try to do AZEO whenever possible, and make payments to do so before a bill cuts.  I heard somewhere (on-line)... that if you allow the bill to cut, or numerous bills to cut with a small balance,  let's say under $10 it is better...... since it shows numerous payments due & then made.

Does anyone know if there is any validity to that?    ... and if so,  if I have no intention to applying for any new credit in the near (6 month ) future am I better off doing that rather than AZEO ?   ..... and would there be any difference in credit scores, short term or long term?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
NYC_Fella
Frequent Contributor

Re: AZEO vs Small balance question

@FishingGuy wrote:

I usually try to do AZEO whenever possible, and make payments to do so before a bill cuts.  I heard somewhere (on-line)... that if you allow the bill to cut, or numerous bills to cut with a small balance,  let's say under $10 it is better...... since it shows numerous payments due & then made.

Does anyone know if there is any validity to that?    ... and if so,  if I have no intention to applying for any new credit in the near (6 month ) future am I better off doing that rather than AZEO ?   ..... and would there be any difference in credit scores, short term or long term?

When you next apply for credit, in general, your score will be higher if your report shows AZEO rather than numerous small balances. The current FICO score model is static and doesn't care if you paid off dozens of small bills in previous months.

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

No. Your source for this information was misinformed. Your cards will still report a positive payment even if the balance is 0. Similarly, I have heard advice given to make multiple payments each month so it shows you make more payments; that, again, is not true. One payment is reported per month per open account regardless of activity on that account (unless you had a payment due that you did no make, or the account is in forbearance).

Not score related, but many recommend letting your cards report your natural spend each month as many lenders have internal risk systems that may trigger AA if they see utilization or number of accounts with a balance shoot up. Some also report that doing so leads to higher CLs. So that could be a benefit to letting multiple accounts report balances.

Message 3 of 15
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@NYC_Fella wrote:

@FishingGuy wrote:

When you next apply for credit, in general, your score will be higher if your report shows AZEO rather than numerous small balances. The current FICO score model is static and doesn't care if you paid off dozens of small bills in previous months.

While I am aware of the AZEO model which claims best scores if only one card is reporting a small balance, I am also aware of many folks who have said that rule doesn't really apply to folks on a dirty score card.  I have a Chapter 13 on my record (for another 4 months) and have had 0 cards report (definitely got hit with the "All Zero" penalty), 1, 2, and all 3 of my cards report a small balance, and have yet to see a single point difference between AZEO and AZET (...except Two or Three).

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 4 of 15
NYC_Fella
Frequent Contributor

@Horseshoez wrote:

While I am aware of the AZEO model which claims best scores if only one card is reporting a small balance, I am also aware of many folks who have said that rule doesn't really apply to folks on a dirty score card.  I have a Chapter 13 on my record (for another 4 months) and have had 0 cards report (definitely got hit with the "All Zero" penalty), 1, 2, and all 3 of my cards report a small balance, and have yet to see a single point difference between AZEO and AZET (...except Two or Three).

That's why I said "in general". My experience is similar to yours. I have a Chapter 7 on my record. I did get the all-zero penalty (36 points!!) a few months ago but I have regained those points by trying to practice AZEO to the extent I remember to do so. However, I've had two minor inadvertent deviations from AZEO in the last few months and they have not affected my score by even a point. Like you, I suspect that clean reports with high scores are more sensitive than messy reports with middling scores.

Message 5 of 15
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

If you look at your real reports. It will show how much was charged each month or high balance. Then it shows $0 balance for posting date. They know and report how much you use the card before you pay it off for AZEO.

Message 6 of 15
NYC_Fella
Frequent Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

If you look at your real reports. It will show how much was charged each month or high balance. Then it shows $0 balance for posting date. They know and report how much you use the card before you pay it off for AZEO.

I was under the impression that the "high balance" was an all-time number, not a monthly number. I could be wrong.

Message 7 of 15
Bippy_33
Regular Contributor

@FishingGuy wrote:

@FishingGuy I let all mine except 1 stay at 0 and I usually put $20.00 on 1 credit card for reporting purposes and my scores have been jumping lately. I've been doing it for 5 months now and my recent score increase was on TU 9 ( Merrick Bank ) it was 700 & now it shot up to 721. All three reports have shown decent scores that have taken me over 700 across the board.

Message 8 of 15
Yasselife
Valued Contributor

@FishingGuy Like others have said, it will show on your reports the date of when your last payment was made regardless. 
 Aside from score points,  I personally use AZEO to avoid missing a payment, and having more control over my accounts. I use Mint app for this and it's easier to track where the debt is at.

So AZEO to me offers more than scores, is security and it has helped me in the last 5yrs. 

Message 9 of 15
FishingGuy
Frequent Contributor

Thank you everyone,  your answers are precisely what I thought re AZEO vs small balances...... however I was watching a youtube video from someone who has a channel and is well known for giving credit advice ( name not to be mentioned ) and he gave the other and a different opinion.... so I wanted to ask.

All of you....... My Fico members.... are the best !

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.