cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accounts not reported included in utilization?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Accounts not reported included in utilization?

@Anonymous wrote:

When our OP (Emily) says that they are not reporting, she may mean one of two things:

(1)  The accounts are not appearing on her reports

(2)  The accounts do appear, but they are not being updated each month by the creditor.  In fact they have not been updated for several months.

People use the verb "report" in both ways. 

If Emily means #1, then the accounts are not being figured into utilization, since an account has to be on one's report to affect one's score. 

If she means #2, then if the card is listed as open it is counted into utilization; if it is listed as closed it is not counted.

Does that sound right, everybody?

Emily already said they were open but not reporting, thus they are factored into uitilization.

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was unclear to me what she meant by reporting.  That's what I mentioned in my post.

Many people when they say that an account is not reporting mean that it does not appear on the report.  She could have a card that she knows is open but she does not see it on the report (thus "it is not reporting").  Such a card would not be counted into utilization, although it was indeed open.

So they mere fact that she said she had a card that was open doesn't answer the question, not until we know what she means by "to report." 

PS.  And there isn't a right or wrong way to use the word -- it's used both ways frequently.  I just wanted to check in to find out which way she meant it.  Indeed, the fact that she was being confidently told opposite things by different people might be a sign that people were interpreting this word differently.

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It was unclear to me what she meant by reporting.  That's what I mentioned in my post.

Many people when they say that an account is not reporting mean that it does not appear on the report.  She could have a card that she knows is open but she does not see it on the report (thus "it is not reporting").  Such a card would not be counted into utilization, although it was indeed open.

So they mere fact that she said she had a card that was open doesn't answer the question, not until we know what she means by "to report." 

PS.  And there isn't a right or wrong way to use the word -- it's used both ways frequently.  I just wanted to check in to find out which way she meant it.  Indeed, the fact that she was being confidently told opposite things by different people might be a sign that people were interpreting this word differently.

Others may have been interpreting the word differently. However I had the clear understanding what the OP was asking and I believe I answered it correctly.

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@emily15 wrote:
They are open, not reporting. Just wondering if they are included in uti. I don't need to dispute anything. Thanks !

They are included.

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@emily15 wrote:
Hi,

I have some cards I have not used in over a year and it looks like they are not reporting, my question is if these limits are still included in overall utilization or not?
T.I.A!

Let's take this a little further.

Emily- Are the accounts in question listed on your credit reports but have not updated for a period of months?

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, when it is possible that one or more people are interpreting a key word in a question in very different ways (and remember there were dozens of people just reading it and not commenting as well) it can be helpful for one of the people who are not fully clear to chime in and ask the OP.  That's what I did.

I still am uncertain -- my guess is that our OP meant is not reporting in the second sense -- that the account was appearing on the report but wasn't updating each month.  But I am not 100% on that.

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, when it is possible that one or more people are interpreting a key word in a question in very different ways (and remember there were dozens of people just reading it and not commenting as well) it can be helpful for one of the people who are not fully clear to chime in and ask the OP.  That's what I did.

I still am uncertain -- my guess is that our OP meant is not reporting in the second sense -- that the account was appearing on the report but wasn't updating each month.  But I am not 100% on that.

I do not disagree at all what you are saying.

This is why I just asked Emily if they are in fact on her reports, but not updating.

We will know as soon as the OP replies to my question.

You raise some very good points.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.