Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice Please on How Soon a Credit Score Can Go Up

tag
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Re: Advice Please on How Soon a Credit Score Can Go Up

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is verification of utilization. It will not help much to pay off the $1,400/$8,000 account if it's not used for utilization. I assume that the two credit card accounts are listed on the credit reports for both of you or at least for your husband.

girl11, what is the utilization percentage listed in your husband's EQ and TU myFICO score reports? The first account is $6,900/$30,000, so the overall utilization is (1400 + 3900 + 3000) * 100 / (8000 + 30000) = 21%, if both accounts report credit limits and are used for utilization.

In comparison, (0 + 3900) * 100 / (8000 + 30000) = 10%. You mention 22% and 10%, so that aligns. But the key question is if his FICO score reports say so too.

Message 11 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

The credit cards are for both of us.  I have more accounts on my credit report though, the mortgage and a HELOC loan with 12k on it (22k was the original amount).  I have more debt under mine yet the higher score.

How do I know if both accounts are used for utilization?

Message 12 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, I was wondering not to pull his report, but to find out if his credit score increased before I ask the lender to re-run his credit check.  Can I pay to find out his credit score?  I already know Experian had the best score, so I would need to know if either TU or Equifax changed in order to get that higher middle score.

I think those balances should come up by December 1.  Because when our credit reports were pulled on November 1, they had the balances from the most current statements that were generated.

Message 13 of 29
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, I was wondering not to pull his report, but to find out if his credit score increased before I ask the lender to re-run his credit check.  Can I pay to find out his credit score?  I already know Experian had the best score, so I would need to know if either TU or Equifax changed in order to get that higher middle score.

I think those balances should come up by December 1.  Because when our credit reports were pulled on November 1, they had the balances from the most current statements that were generated.

Yes you can but you're not supposed to access anyone else's information. Why not let him do it?

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 14 of 29
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Have your husband go to http://www.myfico.com/Products/FICOOne/Description.aspx

Click Buy Now. Uncheck TransUnion on the next screen, so he's paying $15.95 for EQ only.

Once he gets his score report, look for "Ratio of your revolving balances to your credit limits" towards the beginning.

Message 15 of 29
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

Have your husband go to http://www.myfico.com/Products/FICOOne/Description.aspx

Click Buy Now. Uncheck TransUnion on the next screen, so he's paying $15.95 for EQ only.

Once he gets his score report, look for "Ratio of your revolving balances to your credit limits" towards the beginning.

Before you do that though it's worth a few minutes to do an internet search for "myfico discount codes" to save a little money. I've saved as much as 25% by doing this. The offers change constantly but saving on anything is always good.  Smiley Happy

From a BK years ago to:

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 16 of 29
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

twitter.com/myfico also throws out some new discounts from time to time.

Message 17 of 29
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@llecs wrote:

twitter.com/myfico also throws out some new discounts from time to time.

Thanks for reminding me of that. Since I neither twitter nor tweet I forget about that option. Smiley Tongue

From a BK years ago to:

Message 18 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes you can but you're not supposed to access anyone else's information. Why not let him do it?

From a BK years ago to:

Don't worry, he would know I was doing it.  If I asked him to do it, he wouldn't want to be bothered.  He leaves everything having to do with money and bills and whatnot to me.  That was decided long ago.  When we were first together, who do you think made sure that he started making his minimum payments on credit cards because he wasn't paying attention to the credit card bills he got in the mail?  That's why he had to recover from bad credit.  He had the money to pay them, but he would forget about making payments.  His credit score is getting up there, so I want to help him get it higher so it'll help us get the best deals in the future.

Message 19 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you...if I want the mortgage lender to re-check it, it would be $16.  His credit score would have to drop I think 40 points to put him into the next lower tier.  I don't think it can change that much, right?  I am trying to find out if his credit score does go up by a point into the next higher category, what would be the deal we would get then.  If it's not going to be much difference, I don't know if it's worth stressing about either.

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.