Did you mean: 

Aging Delinquencies

tag
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

Re: Aging Delinquencies

@credit_endurance wrote:

Great thread by the way! 
I am in a situation where my 7 year removal in actually in process but I am getting a little antsy. EQ has already began deleting a string of 30,60,90,120 lates for 5 month span. I currently have 1 (120) late remaining on EQ. But RY remains very slow with removing (4) lates left as they are suppose to delete 1 this month to bring me down to (3) but nothing yet. I have actually tried to get EE with TU but keep getting the runaround every time. They claim Navient is responsible for the removal, and they must continue to report accurate information. What am I not getting about this EE? Is there a certain way to go about it? 

If I understand correctly, you have a delinquency on a closed student loan that is nearing its 7 year mark. Requesting EE will remove the entire account from your report, not just the one delinquency, so make sure this is what you want to do. If you'd like to request EE from TU, then call

1-888-259-6845 (6am to 12am PT) and ask to speak to a supervisor. When you're connected (it took me several calls), ask for early exclusion on the account. Again, this will remove the entire account from your report. If you want the account to stay on your report, then you need to wait it out. If you don't have any other installment loans, and you're not planning a major purchase before the 7 year mark, then you may be better off waiting for the delinquency to age off on its own.

Message 31 of 85
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

@VanderSnoot that is correct. Student loan account is paid off and was trying to get lates removed expeditiously but not to sacrifice scores with removing the whole account. If I can understand the thread correctly by having TU remove the entire account once lates are removed I wouldn't receive any boost in Fico scores? I do currently have an Alliant SSL reporting would that help if whole account is removed? 

Starting FICO08 Scores 2016 All in the mid 500’s
Current FICO08 Scores SEP 2023 (TU 834) (EQ 831 (EXP 831)

“The credit is no longer bruised, it has endured the test of time” (formally know as bruisedcredit)

Message 32 of 85
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

@credit_endurance wrote:

@VanderSnoot that is correct. Student loan account is paid off and was trying to get lates removed expeditiously but not to sacrifice scores with removing the whole account. If I can understand the thread correctly by having TU remove the entire account once lates are removed I wouldn't receive any boost in Fico scores? I do currently have an Alliant SSL reporting would that help if whole account is removed? 

You have two options:

(1) Allow the delinquencies to age off on their own. This is almost always the best choice because it preserves the account on your report, which can add to credit mix and age of accounts. To satisfy the credit mix criterion for scoring purposes, you need 3 revolving accounts and 1 installment account. Your SSL counts as an installment loan. Age of accounts is more complicated because there are numerous calculations (e.g. Age of Oldest Account, Age of Youngest Account, Average Age of Accounts, Age of Open Accounts) and numerous thresholds for each calculation (e.g. AOYA hitting 6 months or 1 year, or AAOA hittting 1 year, 2 years, or 5 years). This criterion is a bit of a black box, which people here have tried to decipher by posting DPs as their accounts age. 

(2) Request Early Exclusion. EE will remove the entire account from your report. You lose the delinquencies, but you also lose the positives the account adds to your scores, namely credit mix and age of accounts. Requesting EE may be the right choice if you have a major purchase coming up (e.g. a mortgage) and you want to get your scores above a threshhold to qualify for better rates. EE is also appropriate if you don't need the negative account to satisfy credit mix or boost account age.

In your case, if this is your only negative, and you have a major purchase coming up, then EE is worth it. You have another installment loan, so the closed student loan isn't helping your credit mix. Depending on your other accounts, it may be helping your age, but in general, the loss in score from delinquencies, especially 90 or 120 day delinquencies, is much larger than the points you gain from age. (With a 90/120 day delinquency on your report, you are losing 50-100 points, whereas passing an age of account threshold seems to gain anywhere from 2-3 points to maybe 20 points.) This said, if you have other derogs on your report, then you won't see the large gains until they're all gone. There's no reason to request EE on a 6.5 yr old delinquency if you have a 2 yr old delinquency (or other derog) on your report.

Message 33 of 85
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

@VanderSnoot, Absolutely excellent breakdown. Much appreciated! I don't plan on making any major purchases this year at least. And I have been waiting 7 years to get to the day my reports become clean so I will just let these last 90,120 lates age off.These are my final negatives to drop. These student loans are over 14 years of age so that is important as well.My scores in the sig are up to date so looking forward to that boost to see where they end up. I would much rather have the boost in scores at this point. I might add a personal loan in the next couple of months if so, I will just pay off the balance of my SSL and let the new installment report. 

“The credit is no longer bruised, it has endured the test of time” (formally know as bruisedcredit)

Message 34 of 85
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

@VanderSnoot, just a follow up question regarding all the factors your previously mentioned. Does it matter if the account is actually listed as paid,closed? Will the scoring benefit still be irrelevant if the account is actually closed? 

Message 35 of 85
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

I don't understand your question. Feel free to PM me.

Message 36 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a late from June 2013 on EQ from Cap One Auto and it also auto deleted at 3 months early (March 2020). I was a little surprised, but then saw your thread, and wanted to add my DP to it as well to show this seems to be the trend (not a hard fast rule).

Good to know it doesn't delete the string. I am wondering, though, because in September that will be my technical DOFD for the rest of the account. Will it still just drop one by one or will the whole account drop off? Whether it be August, November, or any time in between of this year or will I have to wait until May-August of next year to see the entire account removed when the very last entry hits 7 years? Just curious if anyone has DPs about this.

I will start watching it like a hawk starting in August and post any DPs!

Message 37 of 85
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

What kind of negatives do you have starting in Sept? If they're delinquencies, they'll fall off one at a time, 3 months before hitting 7 years.

Message 38 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the information. Wish I had known half the info on this board when I was recovering not long ago.

Message 39 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

30d 11/13

90d 12/13

CO 1/14 to 8/14

It was a misunderstanding in the final payment. I thought I had clarified the final total due and sent it off. I had a lot going on at the time with both my Mother & Sister having cancer and was just happy that it was "paid off" and never even thought about the title as time went on until I needed to sell the vehicle a year later (when bills got more expensive for my mother). That is when I found out about the remaining interest charge that I guess the CSR overlooked....plus late fees and more fees on top of fees argh....

@VanderSnoot wrote:

What kind of negatives do you have starting in Sept? If they're delinquencies, they'll fall off one at a time, 3 months before hitting 7 years.

Message 40 of 85
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.