Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aging of derogatory marks

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Aging of derogatory marks

derogatories having less affect with Age
I always read/hear this but what exactly does that mean. Of course it falls off your report in 7-7.5 yrs, but in the mean time, can you explain this to me. Does it get better every month? year? How much off an effect does it lose? At least in you guy's experience. This has to do with with a charge of that was killing my utilization that I just settled that have me well over 100% util. Bringing that down will help in the short term but the charge off itself...
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Aging of derogatory marks

No, they do not diminish in terms of impact every month.  Perhaps not even every year.  The breakpoints are not well known on the aging of negative items. 

As a general guideline though, I like to say that a minor negative (like a 30 day late) usually sees about 2/3 of the points lost come back in about 2 years time, with the final 1/3 of the points lost returning once it's gone at ~7 years.  Conversely, a major negative (like your CO) may see about 1/3 of the points return in about 2 years time, where the final 2/3 of the points lost wouldn't return until the baddie is gone. 

The above estimate that I gave assumes the presence of only one piece of negative information though.  Once you're talking multiples, that's a different conversation and trying to determine the impact of any one negative is much more difficult.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.