cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allowing usage on (9) cards to report in one month?

tag
SanDiegoCredit
New Contributor

Allowing usage on (9) cards to report in one month?

Hi folks.  I'm new to managing my FICO.

My EXP F8 score is 754.

I have nine bank trade lines.  I usually PIF before cycle closes for each account every month, so util is like <1%.

However for this month, I said, nah...  I'm going to let every card close and presumeably report.  Every card got used! So cycle will close with balance due anywhere from $18, to $1500.  Total spend for the month was $4,200.  Total CL across all accounts is $100K.

Do you think my score will go up or down?

Thanks

Credit Age:

Gardening.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: Allowing usage on (9) cards to report in one month?

There will be a penalty for more than 50% of cards reporting. We're any cards reporting over 28.9% utilization? I'm guessing no, on 9 cards with 100k of available credit. If yes, small penalty there.

Any loss will be temporary though. Once your back to AZEO

Message 2 of 10
AllZero
Mega Contributor

As above, if no utilization threshold crossed, not a huge impact for revolvers reporting.

EX8 should remain the same.
EQ8 and TU8 should see a small points loss.

BBB did a test. For your reading pleasure.
https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/From-AZ-gt-AZEO-gt-100-w-balances-data/m...

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SanDiegoCredit wrote:

My EXP F8 score is 754.

I have nine bank trade lines.  I usually PIF before cycle closes for each account every month, so util is like <1%.

However for this month, I said, nah...  I'm going to let every card close and presumeably report.  Every card got used! So cycle will close with balance due anywhere from $18, to $1500.  Total spend for the month was $4,200.  Total CL across all accounts is $100K.

Thanks

On my scorecard it would go down on EQ/TU 8 due to 100% of cards reporting a balance. EX 8 wouldn't move.

But I have less than 3yrs total credit history with less than 2yrs revolving history.

3 of 4 (75%) is the same as 2 of 4 (50%) on all 3 FICO 8's for me. But the EQ/TU 9's go up +11 to +16 at 50% vs 75%.

When I had 2 cards, 2 of 2 (100%) was the same penalty as 4 of 4: EQ/TU 8 -19/-14.

I could get those points back with 1 of 2.

Message 4 of 10
SanDiegoCredit
New Contributor

@blindambition wrote:

There will be a penalty for more than 50% of cards reporting. We're any cards reporting over 28.9% utilization? I'm guessing no, on 9 cards with 100k of available credit. If yes, small penalty there.

Thank you. One card has a low limit of $1K. It's the Cash+ card and I had a lot of high bills, so it will close at 70%. :-) I can't wait for the score change...

@AllZero wrote:

As above, if no utilization threshold crossed, not a huge impact for revolvers reporting.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/From-AZ-gt-AZEO-gt-100-w-balances-data/m...

Thanks! I will read that!

@Anonymous wrote:

@SanDiegoCredit wrote:

My EXP F8 score is 754.

Thanks

On my scorecard it would go down on EQ/TU 8 due to 100% of cards reporting a balance. EX 8 wouldn't move.

But I have less than 3yrs total credit history with less than 2yrs revolving history.

3 of 4 (75%) is the same as 2 of 4 (50%) on all 3 FICO 8's for me. But the EQ/TU 9's go up +11 to +16 at 50% vs 75%.

When I had 2 cards, 2 of 2 (100%) was the same penalty as 4 of 4: EQ/TU 8 -19/-14.

Your score card is an impressive piece of work! Thanks

Credit Age:

Gardening.
Message 5 of 10
blindambition
Senior Contributor

As stated, losses will rebound. That card will definitely be penalized... Passing 28.9, 48.9, and 68.9 thresholds.

@SanDiegoCredit wrote:

@blindambition wrote:

Thank you. One card has a low limit of $1K. It's the Cash+ card and I had a lot of high bills, so it will close at 70%. :-) I can't wait for the score change...

@AllZero wrote:

Thanks! I will read that!

@Anonymous wrote:

@SanDiegoCredit wrote:

My EXP F8 score is 754.

Thanks

Your score card is an impressive piece of work! Thanks

Message 6 of 10
SanDiegoCredit
New Contributor

The USB cash+ card reported $667 balance on the $1,000 limit card. My EX score immediately went up by one point. 753-> 754. There could be other factors that made it move... So not drawing and conclusions...

Credit Age:

Gardening.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My test showed that EX8 doesn't care at all about number of cards with a balance on a clean/aged file anyway.  Didn't matter if I was at AZEO or 100% of cards with a balance, score didn't budge.  EQ8 and TU8 are more sensitive to that, but even so you're looking at maybe 10-15 points that will come back as quick as they went away if you reduce the number of accounts with balances back to where they were.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My test showed that EX8 doesn't care at all about number of cards with a balance on a clean/aged file anyway.  Didn't matter if I was at AZEO or 100% of cards with a balance, score didn't budge.

That was a great test, too.

I found the same on EX 8 even with less than 6 months revolving credit history. Still holding true at 1yr 11mo revolving history.

100%, 75%, [EDIT: and 50% 50%, and 25%] of cards (out of 4) = all the same EX 8 score.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SanDiegoCredit wrote:

The USB cash+ card reported $667 balance on the $1,000 limit card. My EX score immediately went up by one point. 753-> 754. There could be other factors that made it move... So not drawing and conclusions...

Sometimes we get points on the 1st from aging. This can cause a net gain when something else happens that is known to cause a score loss - like an inquiry, new account showing up, increasing utilization into a higher interval, etc.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.