cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Settlement / Zwicker / 29 Point Drop...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Settlement / Zwicker / 29 Point Drop...

I had an Amex charge off back at the end of 2016 for around 50k.  In November 2019, I made the decision to enagage with Zwicker to pay off.

I chose the option to get a new Amex with same number, restoration of points, etc if I pay in full within 24 months.

Made a 6k down payment.  When Amex updated the amount owed, my credit score dropped by 29 points.

- Is this due to 'reactivating' the debt?

- Can I assume that once this is paid off, and they reintate my charging privledges that my score will jump back up?

Thanks...

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
silver_idle
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Settlement / Zwicker / 29 Point Drop...

@Anonymous wrote:

I had an Amex charge off back at the end of 2016 for around 50k.  In November 2019, I made the decision to enagage with Zwicker to pay off.

I chose the option to get a new Amex with same number, restoration of points, etc if I pay in full within 24 months.

Made a 6k down payment.  When Amex updated the amount owed, my credit score dropped by 29 points.

- Can I assume that once this is paid off, and they reintate my charging privledges that my score will jump back up?

Thanks...

It could be due to it being updated since it was CO back in 2016 with no further changes or updates to it (other than it reporting to the CRA). Once its paid off it should bounce back up abit but age and any positive payment history will your score as the derog history gets older.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah it’s because it was updated. Did they agree to drop the negative history upon re-payment?
Message 3 of 5
sjt
Senior Contributor

@silver_idle wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks...

It could be due to it being updated since it was CO back in 2016 with no further changes or updates to it (other than it reporting to the CRA). Once its paid off it should bounce back up abit but age and any positive payment history will your score as the derog history gets older.

Amex usually reports monthly, so that is unlikely the case.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 4 of 5
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks...

Once you get it to zero, your score should bump

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.