Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

At what limit is a card no longer counted towards utilization

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

At what limit is a card no longer counted towards utilization

Discover finally updated my limit $45,500 and my score dropped a few points!! I am not sure if that's what dropped it or something else did but I'd like to know when Fico stops factoring card in utilization

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

Re: At what limit is a card no longer counted towards utilization

It is always a factor of your score. Individual and overall utilization account for 30% of your FICO score. 

Message 2 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DeeBee78 wrote:

It is always a factor of your score. Individual and overall utilization account for 30% of your FICO score. 

That's not entirely accurate. On some FICO models, cards with greater than 50k limits are not counted for utilization purposes.

Message 3 of 29
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@DeeBee78 wrote:

That's not entirely accurate. On some FICO models, cards with greater than 50k limits are not counted for utilization purposes.

Please tell me what FICO models these are, because I pulled my statement directly from this website. 

http://www.myfico.com/CreditEducation/Amounts-Owed.aspx

Message 4 of 29
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Here is an interesting thread from a few months back with some data points:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Revolving-Credit-Lines-Over-50K-and-Utilizatio...

Message 5 of 29
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Testing is still going on currently but the working theory re: 50K lines

FICO 8: counts fully

FICO 04: a little debate but possibly discounted

FICO 98: discounted

        
Message 6 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think anyone knows for certain yet.  Speculation was there at $35k, $40k, $45k and $50k but recently two data points were posted from members with $50k individual credit lines that WERE counted into overall utilization, so IF a cutoff exists under FICO 08 it could very well be higher than $50k.

Message 7 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi BBS.  I think we only had one test result from one person recently on the thread you and I are thinking of, and this was a test case that was protracted over 100 posts and 9 weeks.  And even then there were data that were still not supplied at the end of that, so I am doubtful about the reliability of it.

Fortunately it is extremely easy to test, and I hope we get some crisp well-executed tests by multiple people over the next few months.

In the case of our OP (the person who started this thread) he'd need to tell us more about the state of his CC balances before and after the CLI.

Indeed, if he wants a definite answer to his question (and to help the broader community in the process) you and I can help him test this in an absolutely certain way for his 46.5k tradeline.

Message 8 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could very well be correct about the reliability of that data.  I do think that in that thread (or possibly it was another) a reference was made to another member with a $50k credit line that reported it being counted in overall utilization.  I didn't back check their reference or data, was just going off of word of mouth on that one.

I agree that it's incredibly easy for someone to test, and with a single CCT trial membership could be checked and concrete data received in 1 week of time.  The person checking would need only to start their trial membership 3-4 days before their $50k line reports, then pull their scores again with the same $1 trial 3-4 days later after it has reported.

Message 9 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You could very well be correct about the reliability of that data.  I do think that in that thread (or possibly it was another) a reference was made to another member with a $50k credit line that reported it being counted in overall utilization.  I didn't back check their reference or data, was just going off of word of mouth on that one.

I agree that it's incredibly easy for someone to test, and with a single CCT trial membership could be checked and concrete data received in 1 week of time.  The person checking would need only to start their trial membership 3-4 days before their $50k line reports, then pull their scores again with the same $1 trial 3-4 days later after it has reported.

^ THIS!  Smiley Happy

If anyone wants to understand exactly how to prepare his profile in advance, BBS (or I) will be delighted to explain.  Our OP for this thread wants to know about his own large tradeline, and that in itself would confirm that a tradeline of his size (46.5k) is or is not being dropped from the FICO 8 util calculation.

Half a dozen sharp clear tests by multiple people would answer this question for certain.

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.