Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized User Affecting FICO Score

tag
RLFLOWS
Valued Member

Authorized User Affecting FICO Score

Hello. After years of credit repair my current FICO score are Experian 743, Equifax 737 & Transunion 735. My question is if I was to add an Authorized User credit card with a minimum $5,000 & minimum 5 years credit history how would it affect my credit score.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Re: Authorized User Affecting FICO Score

@RLFLOWS wrote:

Hello. After years of credit repair my current FICO score are Experian 743, Equifax 737 & Transunion 735. My question is if I was to add an Authorized User credit card with a minimum $5,000 & minimum 5 years credit history how would it affect my credit score.

Assuming you are asking what would happen if you were made an Authorized User on someone else's credit card, I would think the impact would be minimal given your current scores.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RLFLOWS wrote:

We would need to know more about your profile to know for sure, but the impact would likely be minimal. If you have high utilization and the AU account does not, it could help offset utilization and boost your scores. If you have young accounts then the 5 years would help boost those ages and may net you some score increases. Depending on how many accounts you have, adding a card may not affect your aging metrics much at all.

Message 3 of 8
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

Definitely not information given. 

In addition to what has been mentioned, if it was an Amex card, it wouldn't help at all.

Depending on your relationship to the main holder, it may not even count on your credit report.

Message 4 of 8
RLFLOWS
Valued Member

Ok. I have 13 credit cards @ 30% utilization. $67,500 in credit limits. No negative accounts. A car loan, a regular loan & a checking line of credit all with Navy FCU. 3 closed accounts paid off. Average age of credit is 2.7 years with my oldest account at 14.7 years.

Message 5 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@RLFLOWS wrote:

Ok. I have 13 credit cards @ 30% utilization. $67,500 in credit limits. No negative accounts. A car loan, a regular loan & a checking line of credit all with Navy FCU. 3 closed accounts paid off. Average age of credit is 2.7 years with my oldest account at 14.7 years.

You're doing fine in your credit repair journey on your own. You would accomplish little if anything by becoming an authorized user and might lose points for adding the new account.  What you need to do is to NOT add anything new. Just pay down the cards you have. It's not exciting I know, but that's where you'll get the gains -- passage of time + paying down balances.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 6 of 8
RLFLOWS
Valued Member

Thanks for your knowledge SouthJamaica.

Message 7 of 8
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

AU accounts are to help someone with no credit history build credit history. You have established history. It's a waste of time.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.